The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in spot after the foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98679-throw-spot-after-foul.html)

jeremy341a Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:46am

Throw in spot after the foul

I had someone tell me at a mechanics clinic last night that the throw in spot following a foul is always at the spot closest to the ball. Per my understanding of 7-5-4 it is nearest the spot of the foul. Is this correct? Is the college rule different?

Freddy Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 944298)
I had someone tell me at a mechanics clinic last night that the throw in spot following a foul is always at the spot closest to the ball. Per my understanding of 7-5-4 it is nearest the spot of the foul. Is this correct? Is the college rule different?

Was that "someone" a paying customer or a paid clinician?

NFHS: You are correct. Except for after a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul (cf. 7-5-3b), which would go to spot "nearest where eh ball became dead," thus presumably at the spot closest to the ball.
Will await NCAA expertise on that ruleset.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02am

NCAA is the same for the garden-variety personal foul.

Raymond Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 944298)

Often times "someone" is wrong, especially when they can't pull out a book and show you something in writing.

Don't let "someone" cause you to doubt your own reading of the rules.

The_Rookie Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 944317)
Often times "someone" is wrong, especially when they can't pull out a book and show you something in writing.

Plus 100!..Many doubters in the world in which we work:)

jeremy341a Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 944317)

When the presenter tells me one thing even though I read another I have doubt as to whether I am reading it correctly or perhaps missing another important aspect. I feel it that doesn't cause me doubt than perhaps I would not find a mistake I am making.

Raymond Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 944328)
When the presenter tells me one thing even though I read another I have doubt as to whether I am reading it correctly or perhaps missing another important aspect. I feel it that doesn't cause me doubt than perhaps I would not find a mistake I am making.

If it was the presenter, then you have a lot bigger problem. ;)

Only thing I can think of is that he was speaking about double fouls.

AremRed Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 944328)

Whenever I double take like that I always make sure I understand the situation the presenter is talking about. Usually there is some detail that I missed, rather than the veteran guy being wrong. :)

jeremy341a Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 944330)
If it was the presenter, then you have a lot bigger problem. ;)

Only thing I can think of is that he was speaking about double fouls.

No after he said it I raised my hand and said on a foul will the ball be taken out at the spot closest the ball or foul and He said "on all fouls it will taken out at the spot closest to the ball.

I was wondering if the college rule was different and that is what caused his confusion.

I didn't press the issue there bc 1. I then had doubts and 2. I'm not being confrontational.

jeremy341a Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 944332)
Whenever I double take like that I always make sure I understand the situation the presenter is talking about. Usually there is some detail that I missed, rather than the veteran guy being wrong. :)

There wasn't any specific situation other than how the lead and trail move after a foul is called. This was a mechanics clinic that is required to be attended by all officials in their first 3 years.

BillyMac Fri Nov 21, 2014 04:53pm

Teachable Moment ???

And while we're at it ...

The penalty for a three second violation is a throw in at the spot closest to the violation, not closest to the ball.

And ...

The penalty for a ten second violation, or a backcourt violation, is not always a throwin at the division line (although it may be), it's nearest the spot of the violation.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 22, 2014 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 944333)
No after he said it I raised my hand and said on a foul will the ball be taken out at the spot closest the ball or foul and He said "on all fouls it will taken out at the spot closest to the ball.

I was wondering if the college rule was different and that is what caused his confusion.

I didn't press the issue there bc 1. I then had doubts and 2. I'm not being confrontational.

Shameful. People who teach the newbies have to be very precise as newer people will remember the information provided for a long time, including the incorrect stuff.