The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Michigan State Pass and Crash (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98665-duke-michigan-state-pass-crash-video.html)

SC Official Tue Nov 18, 2014 07:49pm

Duke/Michigan State Pass and Crash (Video)

There was a pass and crash that was no-called at about the 4:05 mark in the first half on MSU's end. Thought it would be a good play for discussion.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 19, 2014 02:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944008)
There was a pass and crash that was no-called at about the 4:05 mark in the first half on MSU's end. Thought it would be a good play for discussion.

Yep, if it is the play I'm thinking of, I think they missed it.

Fast break with the ball coming down the left side of the court and passed from the left block across to the right corner.

Lead was late getting getting back and was stuck behind the pass recipient in the corner at the time of the pass (not his call anyway). it appeared the C's head turned to follow the pass to the far corner instead of staying with the crash right on his side.

APG Wed Nov 19, 2014 04:34am

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Oa_syIfaoMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Wed Nov 19, 2014 07:54am

Team control foul. Lead is the primary on this transition play but he has to run around the eventual 3 point shooter and is not able to run directly to close down. C could get this, but is too far away due to the quick transition and run out. I guess I could live with a no call.

Raymond Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:04am

Like Camron, I put this on the C for not minding his primary; you can see his head following the path of the pass.

JRutledge Wed Nov 19, 2014 08:45am

TC fouls that should be called.

Peace

HokiePaul Wed Nov 19, 2014 09:11am

It looks like the C thought briefly about making the call late. It looks like he starts a left fist up, but stopped himself. I think he probably realized that he missed the crash while following the pass, and not knowing whether the defender had LGP or not, he opted to swallow his whistle.

Mechanicsman Wed Nov 19, 2014 09:35am

I agree pass and crash plays need to be called. Hard to tell from this angle whether there was much contact though. Looks like the MSU player was moving sideways as the Duke player was falling (did not go through him).

maroonx Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:12am

If the C made the call, should it be block on White or PC on Green?

Rob1968 Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 944074)
If the C made the call, should it be block on White or PC on Green?

Well, it couldn't be Player Control, since he had already passed the ball. If it's on Green, it would simply be a Charge = Pass and Crash.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanicsman (Post 944068)
I agree pass and crash plays need to be called. Hard to tell from this angle whether there was much contact though. Looks like the MSU player was moving sideways as the Duke player was falling (did not go through him).

One, you don't need to "go through" to have a charge. Pretty sure they tried to take that philosophy away a couple of years ago.

Second, I think that green's foot lands behind (or even with) where white started and then green jumps / moves off of that to move sideways.

Charge.

SC Official Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 944081)
Well, it couldn't be Player Control, since he had already passed the ball. If it's on Green, it would simply be a Charge = Pass and Crash.

Team control foul.

Rob1968 Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944091)
Team control foul.

I agree.

#olderthanilook Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1968 (Post 944093)
i agree.

+2

onetime1 Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44pm

If white/duke was in the bonus and the pass and crash was called do they shoot the free throws?