The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   sideline and defensive position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98629-sideline-defensive-position.html)

so cal lurker Thu Nov 13, 2014 01:28pm

sideline and defensive position

I'm helping coach a jr high team this year. IIRC there was a change a few years back about defensive position and the sideline . . . but I'm not sure about my memory on it or how it actually called.

When a defender chases a dribbler to the sideline, the way I was taught (more than a few years ago . . .) was to plant a foot on the line to prevent getting beat that way. I have a vague recollection of a change that would -- at least technically -- make that not legal defensive position and preclude drawing a charge.

So I have two questions:
(1) is that in fact the technical rule? (Or am I misremembering?)
(2) is that how it is actually called?

bballref3966 Thu Nov 13, 2014 01:40pm

It is a violation (not a technical foul) to leave the court for an unauthorized reason. I would not consider planting a foot on the sideline to violate this rule.

However, you are correct that legal guarding position cannot be established if the defender has a foot out of bounds. A defender cannot draw a "charge" if he is out of bounds.

Adam Thu Nov 13, 2014 02:44pm

LGP must be established with both feet down in bounds. Putting a foot out of bounds would eliminate LGP. In general, this is interpreted to mean a player with a foot out of bounds is not in legal position and, even if he's standing still (thus not normally requiring LGP), he is still at risk of a blocking foul. This would be clearer if the rule makers would add the provision to the screening rules.
The offense could still commit a foul here (pushing or holding, for example), but probably not a charging foul.

Freddy Thu Nov 13, 2014 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 943473)
. . . I would not consider planting a foot on the sideline to violate this rule. . . .

What you would or wouldn't do aside, by rule could you?

bob jenkins Thu Nov 13, 2014 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 943483)
What you would or wouldn't do aside, by rule could you?

I don't believe it's the intent of that particular rule.

BillyMac Thu Nov 13, 2014 05:27pm

A Trans-Neptunian Dwarf Planet ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 943470)
... the way I was taught (more than a few years ago . . .) was to plant a foot on the line to prevent getting beat that way.

I was taught the same thing back in the 1970's, and I was also taught that Pluto was the ninth planet. Things change.

Mregor Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 943496)
I was taught the same thing back in the 1970's, and I was also taught that Pluto was the ninth planet. Things change.

Nice 1. :D

Rob1968 Fri Nov 14, 2014 02:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 943470)
I'm helping coach a jr high team this year. IIRC there was a change a few years back about defensive position and the sideline . . . but I'm not sure about my memory on it or how it actually called.

When a defender chases a dribbler to the sideline, the way I was taught (more than a few years ago . . .) was to plant a foot on the line to prevent getting beat that way. I have a vague recollection of a change that would -- at least technically -- make that not legal defensive position and preclude drawing a charge.

So I have two questions:
(1) is that in fact the technical rule? (Or am I misremembering?)
(2) is that how it is actually called?

The Rules citation is 4-23-3 a. ...After the initial guarding position is obtained: The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.
Further clarification is found in the Case Book, 4.23.3 SITUATION B: (a)(the guard has) one foot touching the sideline . . .when A1 contacts B1 in the torso . . . a blocking foul is ruled on B1 because a player may not be out of bounds and obtain or maintain legal guarding position.

so cal lurker Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 943496)

Hey -- be nice - that's why I asked!! I'm completely lost as to why this rule change made sense, but if thems the rules then thems the rules. Our head coach was teaching the old plant-the-foot-on-the-sideline method, which is why I was curious as to whether it actually gets called as not being LGP if the foot is on the line. (With the caveat that I fully realize the officials in our league are not, shall we say, as sophisticated as this crowd when it comes to rules interpretations . . . and I'm even curious if the league noticed that the free throw movement rules in NFHS changed this year when they updated their manual that goes along wtih the NFHS rule book -- I'm betting it various from game to game whehter players are permitted in at the release or the rim . . .)