The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Evidence? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98609-evidence.html)

LRZ Fri Nov 07, 2014 09:43am

Evidence?

The recent "steal, foul, altercation" thread got me thinking about how we use these videos, run multiple times, in slow motion, to determine what we would rule in situations. But I wonder what would or could you use to determine what fouls to call on which players, bench personnel, coaches? In a game that doesn't have some official recording for review, can you use a video offered by someone from the stands? (For no other purpose but for a melee--e.g., not to determine if a last-second shot counts.)

Without video review, I'd have a hard time identifying everything that I perhaps should, especially as I only work 2-official NFHS games. But, on the other hand, I'd hesitate to rely on a recording made by a fan, even if it might seem to be objective and helpful.

Raymond Fri Nov 07, 2014 09:47am

In game, no....for suspension purposes by a governing board, yes.

JRutledge Fri Nov 07, 2014 09:48am

You cannot use video during a game to make any decision. Fight, foul or last second shot cannot be used in any way.

Peace

BryanV21 Fri Nov 07, 2014 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 943171)
You cannot use video during a game to make any decision. Fight, foul or last second shot cannot be used in any way.

Peace

Except, I believe, during state tournament games. And even then it's only for last second shots.

Adam Fri Nov 07, 2014 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 943170)
In game, no....for suspension purposes by a governing board, yes.

Exactly. It's easier when you have three to have one taking notes while the other two break up the situation.

JRutledge Fri Nov 07, 2014 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 943191)
Except, I believe, during state tournament games. And even then it's only for last second shots.

That is not allowed in every state. It is not allowed in my state at all.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Nov 07, 2014 05:18pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 943198)
That is not allowed in every state.

State associations may individually adopt specific coverage in the following:

2-2-1-Note: A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor
during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration
of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be
counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.

BryanV21 Fri Nov 07, 2014 05:19pm

Quote:

That is not allowed in every state. It is not allowed in my state at all.

Peace

I wasn't sure about that, but figured I'd bring it up. If for no other reason than to be a smartass. :p

JRutledge Fri Nov 07, 2014 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 943209)
State associations may individually adopt specific coverage in the following:

2-2-1-Note: A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor
during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration
of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be
counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.

I did not say a state could not adopt it, I said all states do not allow that usage. The rule is like the coaching box and not every state uses that either. I know Iowa was a state that did not have a coaching box for years, because when I would work with Iowa teams, they would ask what they could do all the time.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Nov 07, 2014 05:59pm

Evidentia ...

Quote:

That is not allowed in every state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 943215)
I did not say a state could not adopt it, I said all states do not allow that usage.

I was agreeing with you and gave the evidence, a rule citation, to back you up.