The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAW - End of TO (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98607-ncaaw-end.html)

bob jenkins Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:04pm

NCAAW - End of TO

5-14-14.a The team that requests a timeout may shorten the timeout when the captain/head coach notifies the official of the team's intent.

Does just coming out on to the floor satisfy the "notifies" requirement, or does the team need to make some verbal or physical signal indication of the request?

Should I ask Jon?

(If the NCAAM rule is the same, then chime in on that as well.)

Scuba_ref Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:48am

The rule is exactly the same on the Men's side and also located at 5-14-14.a

In my games I am not shortening a timeout until I'm told by the team who called the timeout that they want it shortened. I am viewing the verb "notifies" is an action verb and in my opinion requires specific action on the part of the notifier, not passive intent judged by me.

Raymond Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:34pm

I work under NCAA-Men's, but I shorten the timeout when the calling team comes out the huddle. It's a rare occasion, but it actually happened in my first game this season.

JRutledge Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:56pm

That is a great question. I would think not because I am assuming notification is telling the officials directly. Maybe I am wrong about that one, but I cannot see how just breaking the huddle is enough. At least it does not appear that way by practice for sure.

Peace

rockyroad Fri Nov 07, 2014 01:10pm

A few years ago, we were directed that just breaking the huddle was not enough. Coach or captain has to let us know..."We are ready" or "Let's go" were given as examples that we respond to.

One reason given is that often the teams will break the hiddle with the coach, but then huddle again just with the 5 players.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 07, 2014 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 943189)
A few years ago, we were directed that just breaking the huddle was not enough. Coach or captain has to let us know..."We are ready" or "Let's go" were given as examples that we respond to.

One reason given is that often the teams will break the hiddle with the coach, but then huddle again just with the 5 players.

That has been the NCAA Men's and Women's position for as long as I can remember. Which, for some of you, means I am very old. LOL!

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 07, 2014 02:27pm

Any references for any of this?

I ask because the table at my game last Saturday hit the horn as soon as the calling team broke the huddle. We asked them not to, but they indicated that they had been told by other officials specifically to do so.

Stat-Man Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:03pm

When I was still a college statisticians, some officials – upon seeing the calling team taking the floor early – would proactively ask the coach if they were ready to play. If so, they'd go to the opposing head coach to notify them and ask the coach if he or she wished to make any subs before play resumed.