Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 07:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS Casebook Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I will allow the catch off the backboard because the exact play is in the casebook.
Then will you allow said player to start a new dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Then will you allow said player to start a new dribble?
If it is an obvious pass off of the board, really obvious that it is a pass, I wouldn't let him dribble. RULES to me say he shouldn't be able to catch it as we discussed…case book play says he can. rules as we know and you have pointed out don't allow player to dribble again. case book play doesn't say he can do that. having said all that...

if i can call the throw off the board a try I'm going to do that. then when he catches and dribbles there is rule support for it...
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 09:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If it is an obvious pass off of the board, really obvious that it is a pass, I wouldn't let him dribble. RULES to me say he shouldn't be able to catch it as we discussed…case book play says he can. rules as we know and you have pointed out don't allow player to dribble again. case book play doesn't say he can do that. having said all that...

if i can call the throw off the board a try I'm going to do that. then when he catches and dribbles there is rule support for it...
This seems to me the right approach.

He'd practically have to yell "I'm passing" before I'd consider it a pass, though.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Does the case really say that though? It says that it can be used but it doesn't specify that a new dribble can begin.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2014, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Does the case really say that though? It says that it can be used but it doesn't specify that a new dribble can begin.

the case play says a pass can be caught off of the back board because it is the players own "equipment." you are right that is all it says. i don't think the rules really support that conclusion but the case book play says he can catch it. the rules also would not let him dribble again.

but, if i say the throw off of the back board was a "try" and not a pass then he can catch it and then dribble it again etc. it becomes a rebound…

if i can call it a try that is what i would do….