The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock women's NCAA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98572-shot-clock-womens-ncaa.html)

Sharpshooternes Thu Oct 30, 2014 08:51pm

Shot clock women's NCAA

Does the shot clock reset on a cross court pass that contacts the ring or flange that is clearly not a shot?

pizanno Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:27am

a pass is not a shot

no reset.

JetMetFan Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 942677)
Does the shot clock reset on a cross court pass that contacts the ring or flange that is clearly not a shot?

NCAAW 2.11.6.d

The shot-clock operator shall stop the timing device and reset it when a try for goal strikes the ring or flange and then possession is gained by either team;

NCAAW 5.1.1

A try for...goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing or tapping the ball into her basket.

If you don't judge it to be a try, then it isn't.

rockyroad Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19am

Realistically, the shot clock operator will probably reset, and we need to be aware of that and kill it and fix it. If the shot clock operator doesn't reset, then I am making a point of going over there and thanking him/her for that at a later dead ball.

JetMetFan Fri Oct 31, 2014 03:57pm

I had the situation happen in a GV playoff game in February (remember, NYS uses modified NCAAW rules for girls' basketball). The shot-clock operator - a student - was very good the entire game. In the second half A1 throws what ends up being a lousy cross-court pass and it hits the rim. After a few seconds I think, "Gee, I wonder if the shot-clock reset?" It did and I blow the whistle. I talk to my partner and she doesn't know what was on the s-c or when the possession started. No one at the table knows either so we had to leave it as is.

I explained the whole thing very calmly to the s-c operator. She asked if she did anything wrong and I said unfortunately yes, but I did it with a smile on my face. I asked whether she thought the play by A1 was a shot and she said no. I said that's why before the game I said you reset "when a shot hits the rim." If you don't think it was a shot, don't reset it. If it was, we'll tell you. She took it well and continued to do a great job.

I'm in the habit - especially during my GV games - of checking the s-c at the start of every possession for just such an emergency. Unfortunately in this gym there was only a game clock at one end of the floor. I was the L at the clock end and the play had started in transition so I never had a chance to look up. Add in the fact that the shot-clocks were on the floor so there was no way to glance up when the ball hit the rim and...stuff happens.

Raymond Fri Oct 31, 2014 04:09pm

In my college scrimmages this year I've started the habit of verbally reciting the shot clock to my partners when we go into a time out.

Multiple Sports Fri Oct 31, 2014 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 942757)
In my college scrimmages this year I've started the habit of verbally reciting the shot clock to my partners when we go into a time out.

There you go again imitating guys in the DMV......