The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tech Foul and OT (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98548-tech-foul-ot.html)

The_Rookie Wed Oct 22, 2014 06:54pm

Tech Foul and OT

If a technical foul is administered to team A to end the second half, and the score is tied after the resulting free throws, how does the extra period begin?

I had Simliar Situation last year EXCEPT game was tied end of 2nd half already..no impact of FT. OT started with a Division Line Throw In Opp. Table to Team B.

Does the fact that the FT were needed to tie the game change how OT is started?

NFHS Rules....

BryanV21 Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:00pm

The OT period is considered an extension of the 4th quarter. Therefore, if Team A received the tech, then Team B would get the ball to start OT (Sorry, I was confused on who you were saying the technical was on, and who tied the game with free throws from it).

Note: The AP arrow would not change.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 942241)
Does the fact that the FT were needed to tie the game change how OT is started?

Can a penalty carry over to the next period? (again, rhetorical).

bballref3966 Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:09pm

Start with a jump ball. You cannot "carry over" the division-line throw-in since the fourth quarter ended with the free throws. (5.6 Comment B)

BryanV21 Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 942259)
Start with a jump ball. You cannot "carry over" the division-line throw-in since the fourth quarter ended with the free throws. (5.6 Comment B)

So the fact that OT is considered to be an extension of the 4th quarter (Rule 5.7.3) doesn't matter?

Edit: After repeatedly reading Rule 5.6 it doesn't seem that OT being an extension of the 4th quarter matters. So it looks like I was wrong to assume here.

bballref3966 Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 942260)
So the fact that OT is considered to be an extension of the 4th quarter (Rule 5.7.3) doesn't matter?

Overtime is considered an extension of the fourth period for purposes of team baskets and foul counts. The fourth quarter ended with the free throws, and by rule the division-line throw-in cannot be carried over to the extra period.

See 5.6 Comment B and 5.6.2 Situation C

BryanV21 Wed Oct 22, 2014 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 942261)
Overtime is considered an extension of the fourth period for purposes of team baskets and foul counts. The fourth quarter ended with the free throws, and by rule the division-line throw-in cannot be carried over to the extra period.

See 5.6 Comment B and 5.6.2 Situation C

I assumed the extension thing meant the penalty would count. Assume... ass... yeah, you know.

Adam Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 942260)

Edit: After repeatedly reading Rule 5.6 it doesn't seem that OT being an extension of the 4th quarter matters. So it looks like I was wrong to assume here.

The "OT is an extension of the 4th Quarter" really only matters for statistical reasons.