The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 12:38am
Back from the DL

Two different sports, same day

Sometimes, you get the call from two different assignors, in two different sports.

My youth soccer assigner had two Sunday morning game playoff games, which would wrap around 12:45 pm. Then, my off-season basketball assigner (high/middle school) calls me for two games starting at 1pm, and about a 15-minute drive from the soccer games. I tell the latter assigner it's going to be a tight squeeze, but I can make it. (He's said he could cover for me, as it's fall ball.)

Soccer flies through smoothly. Basketball, astonishingly, is AHEAD of schedule. I roll in at 1:03 (still in my soccer shirt and shorts), but there's only three minutes remaining in my game's first half, and the previous game's game official is covering. He's cool with finishing the half. I take some grief for having the wrong shirt, change into my basketball grays, but keeping the same shorts.

I take over for the second half, pleasantly surprised that all that soccer has kept my legs in condition (although it makes no excuse for the rest of me). After the second half, I go to thank the previous guy, who sticks around to shoot the breeze. He asks about the soccer I do, and I realize I still have my red card in my back pocket (the common place to carry it during games). I show it to him, and he laughs.

"Where was THAT when I needed it today?!"

As it turns out, he had to toss a coach, who didn't like an explanation, and responded with the hand jerk-off gesture. That's a rare treat in these parts, where sportsmanship is commonplace, especially in games that don't matter.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some football guys in this forum, one or two soccer, and some baseball/softball guys. Did I leave any out? Any two-in-one-day anecdotes to report?

Last edited by bainsey; Mon Oct 20, 2014 at 12:41am.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Last year during the boys volleyball playoffs one of our officials did a softball game in the afternoon and a 2nd round postseason volleyball match in the same day.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Oct 20, 2014, 10:10am
TODO: creative title here

I had a stretch 2 years ago where I officiated the following:

10th grade Softball game at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon, working solo.
3 15U baseball games on Saturday morning (9 am, 11 am, 1 pm). I had the plate for the first and 3rd games.
Semi-pro football game at 5:00 pm on Saturday evening, 5-man crew.

I considered calling up a couple of AAU basketball guys to see if I could get a Sunday tournament in, but decided against it.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I almost got pressed into a fall baseball game a couple of weeks ago after doing 4 youth soccer games. Thankfully the 3rd umpire who was scheduled showed up because I didn't had any baseball gear nor am I an active member of the baseball association, I simply was there because I knew one guy working.

The fact that they require 3 umpires for fall ball is a totally different discussion!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 05:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If I'm not mistaken, there are some football guys in this forum, one or two soccer, and some baseball/softball guys. Did I leave any out? Any two-in-one-day anecdotes to report?
My friend Frank was assigned the grand-daddy of assignments. Did a football championship bowl game in the afternoon, and the provincial AA basketball final in the evening.

That's right, two provincial finals in the same day, two different sports.