The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tickle the Shooter's Belly/Torso During a Try for A Goal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98436-tickle-shooters-belly-torso-during-try-goal.html)

Kansas Ref Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountTheBasket (Post 940648)
There is no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter--if he hits him, I call it.

*Exactly, I concur...that is why I told that player to "just play defense the normal way, the way your coach taught you--hands extended up and time your jump to block or contest that shot".

Kansas Ref Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 940649)
Just please don't refer to it as the "tummy" again, its weird. And if its any type of jab its a foul. If it is just fingertips or very light, then nothing.

*Authors of these posts are free to use any terminology they choose, be it as "tummy", "abdomen", "torso", or any other term--be it of a strictly anatomical distinction (i.e., abdomen/torso) or colloquial origin (i.e., tummy, belly). I think we all know what each other means--just sayin...:cool:

*We are not sure what you mean by saying "any type of jab is foul, but just a light finger tip, then nothing"--appears glaringly contradictory.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 940643)
After your late morning nap?

Sometime between my post-breakfast nap and my pre-lunch nap. Being a retired structural engineer is a demanding job. :p

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 940618)
Q. Why is the defender doing this? A. because s/he thinks it will affect the shot (and s/he's right -- just try to shoot with a little jab in the stomach -- even if it doesn't affect that shot, it will affect the form on the next).

Q. Is this legal defensive positioning or incidental contact? A. No.

So -- it's illegal contact that gives an advantage. Sure sounds like the definition of "foul" to me.

Exactly. They're doing it for no other reason than to affect the shooter - illegally - on that shot and future attempts.

Adam Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19am

Quote:

There is no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter--if he hits him, I call it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 940654)
*Exactly, I concur...that is why I told that player to "just play defense the normal way, the way your coach taught you--hands extended up and time your jump to block or contest that shot".

What is this "marginal contact"? I can't find it.

Contact on a shooter may be incidental, or it may be a foul. And yes, there are plenty of cases where you'll have incidental contact on a jump shooter: even if a jab to the stomach isn't one of those cases.

Rooster Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 940654)
..."just play defense the normal way, the way your coach taught you--hands extended up and time your jump to block or contest that shot".

You say all this?

Rooster Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 940667)
What is this "marginal contact"? I can't find it.

I'm with you on this. I heard a D1 supervisor use this in talk during a camp. Some may see it as picking nits but I think it's important.

Adam Thu Sep 25, 2014 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 940671)
I'm with you on this. I heard a D1 supervisor use this in talk during a camp. Some may see it as picking nits but I think it's important.

I know what's generally meant: contact which may or may not be a foul depending on circumstances. I get that. The problem is, many confuse the term and start using it where "incidental" is more appropriate and defined.

Toren Thu Sep 25, 2014 01:50pm

Quote:

This

+1

Adam Thu Sep 25, 2014 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 940681)
This

+1

You call any and all contact on a jump shooter?

JMUplayer Thu Sep 25, 2014 02:15pm

If you never played high level playground basketball this is done REGULARLY there... that's where it comes from.

Now being a very good jump shooter it does affect a jump shot just by a matter of inches.... believe me

You have to call this at the high school level.....
On the concrete....you play through it

AremRed Thu Sep 25, 2014 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 940682)

While shooting? Yeah. After the release before he has returned to the floor? No, I consider incidental/marginal/illegal contact.

Adam Thu Sep 25, 2014 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 940685)
While shooting? Yeah. After the release before he has returned to the floor? No, I consider incidental/marginal/illegal contact.

Interesting. Is this for all jump shooters everywhere? Just the ones shooting from the arc? Anyone outside the lane?

I'll agree that the threshold for advantage moves a little on a jump shooter from a greater distance, but contact on someone who is shooting is still subject to the incidental contact rule.

Raymond Thu Sep 25, 2014 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 940671)

If you want to work for a D1 (or even a D2 or D3) supervisor, it is something you need to know, whether it is in the book or not.

But marginal contact doesn't have anything to do with this particular situation.

They get one "I see what your trying to do", and then anything subsequent gets a whistle. I am not going with an IF though, no more than I would if they were jabbing at the shooter's elbow, arm, or wrist.

Raymond Thu Sep 25, 2014 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 940682)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 940687)
Interesting. Is this for all jump shooters everywhere? Just the ones shooting from the arc? Anyone outside the lane?

I'll agree that the threshold for advantage moves a little on a jump shooter from a greater distance, but contact on someone who is shooting is still subject to the incidental contact rule.

100% of the time, no. But, the threshold moves more than just a little bit for jump shooters, it moves a lot for me.