The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dick Bavetta retiring (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98251-dick-bavetta-retiring.html)

AremRed Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44am

Dick Bavetta retiring

Report: Veteran official Dick Bavetta retiring

Bonus story -- Violet Palmer gets married: NBA ref to marry longtime partner

JetMetFan Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38am

Happy for both of them!

Nevadaref Thu Jul 31, 2014 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 938552)

About ten years too late for Bavetta. His race with Barkley was an embarrassment to the professionalism of basketball referees.

Curious that the only females (that I know of) currently in the NBA officiating program are lesbians. Contrary to her comment in the cited article, I doubt that Palmer would have been hired in 97 had her sexuality been public knowledge.

AremRed Thu Jul 31, 2014 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 938565)
About ten years too late for Bavetta. His race with Barkley was an embarrassment to the professionalism of basketball referees.

Given that the NBA is all about entertainment I don't see the problem with this. In fact many High School and College referees I have talked have mocked NBA "refereeing" as not real refereeing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 938565)
Curious that the only females (that I know of) currently in the NBA officiating program are lesbians. Contrary to her comment in the cited article, I doubt that Palmer would have been hired in 97 had her sexuality been public knowledge.

I guess I'll have to discontinue my crush on Lauren Holtkamp :(

Raymond Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 938567)
Given that the NBA is all about entertainment I don't see the problem with this. In fact many High School and College referees I have talked have mocked NBA "refereeing" as not real refereeing.

The NBA officials I've met personally in training environments are light-years ahead of college and/or HS officials. Those who are doing the mocking have no idea the scrutiny and training NBA officials go through.

Rich Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35pm

Quote:

Those people are idiots.

JetMetFan Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 938569)
The NBA officials I've met personally in training environments are light-years ahead of college and/or HS officials. Those who are doing the mocking have no idea the scrutiny and training NBA officials go through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 938570)
Those people are idiots.

That sums up things fairly well. Let the people doing the mocking try to work an NBA game or a game with players that size and see how it turns out for them.

Rooster Fri Aug 01, 2014 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 938571)
That sums up things fairly well. Let the people doing the mocking try to work an NBA game or a game with players that size and speed and see how it turns out for them.

Am I right or Amarillo?

BktBallRef Sat Aug 02, 2014 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 938569)

Quote:

Those people are idiots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 938571)
That sums up things fairly well. Let the people doing the mocking try to work an NBA game or a game with players that size and see how it turns out for them.

Absolutely. Any basketball official that would mock an NBA official is exhibiting how ignorant they really are.

APG Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:18am

Quote:

In no uncertain words can I say how idiotic that line of thinking is, and I just shake my head when I hear officials say that.

The best camp I've ever been to was headed by NBA guys, and I probably learned more about basketball officiating there than all other camps combined.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Aug 02, 2014 02:32pm

I am late in joining the discussion about the quality of NBA officials and I have to agree with Tony and APG. I know one retired NBA official and have attended seminars given by Joey Crawford. Yes, we mere mortals joke about NBA officials being paid to NOT blow their whistles, BUT, NBA officials are at the top of the mountain in our basketball officiating profession.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Sat Aug 02, 2014 05:15pm

Quote:

Those people are idiots.

I'm not a fan of the league, but it has nothing to do with the officiating.

JRutledge Sat Aug 02, 2014 07:27pm

Quote:

I guess I'll have to discontinue my crush on Lauren Holtkamp :(

Her and many basketball players. Heck I have a hard time trying to figure out who is straight that play basketball or officiate it. Oh well, it is there life and does not affect me, so what they do and who they sleep with is none of my business. Just not surprised at all by Violet's news.

Peace