The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Getting the ball... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98232-getting-ball.html)

JetMetFan Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27pm

Getting the ball...

Remember this - and the related comments - from a recent thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 937887)
Our association has also told us explicitly not to "tell the players to get the ball", so that's a no for me as well.

What say ye about this?

(BTW Hokie, not tossing you under the Trailways. Yours was the first post I saw)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tPBqzyVz0WY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Freddy Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39pm

[QUOTE=JetMetFan;938366]What say ye about this?

In our area officials are taught not to be "LGBT". Not to...
Look at the ball bouncing away OOB,
Go after the ball,
Beckon for the ball, or
Turn your head toward the ball.
Dead ball surveillance of the players is a key responsibility of all officials. The ball will return to the TI administering official.
Of course, I believe that's been said before.

HokiePaul Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:02pm

I was half expecting this video to show a fight breaking out after the official turned to retrieve the ball ...
From what I recall in the other thread, my association seems to be in the minority and most felt strongly that this was a bad idea.

Adam Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:19pm

But hey, at least the official didn't look lazy. :)

referee99 Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:21pm

Freddy

that is a very inclusive acronym! Props.

referee99 Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:24pm

Playoff game last year...

... team captain, who was a lively personality, says to me (as I'm LGBTing) "you know the NBA refs get the ball for LeBron!"

Adam Mon Jul 28, 2014 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 938382)
... team captain, who was a lively personality, says to me (as I'm LGBTing) "you know the NBA refs get the ball for LeBron!"

1. No, they don't. You'll never see an NBA ref chasing the ball out of the gym.

JetMetFan Mon Jul 28, 2014 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 938374)
I was half expecting this video to show a fight breaking out after the official turned to retrieve the ball ...
From what I recall in the other thread, my association seems to be in the minority and most felt strongly that this was a bad idea.

I know...boring video. It just struck me that the guy took a good 10 seconds to go walking after the ball. It would've been longer if someone hadn't been walking through the hallway and stopped it for him.

I know nothing happened in this clip but I can't see how this would be a good thing. Ever.

BatteryPowered Mon Jul 28, 2014 02:25pm

Quote:

Me to team captain (as I am pointing to the ball); "When you are as good as him I will gladly get you the ball. Until then..."

just another ref Mon Jul 28, 2014 03:13pm

Quote:

"This ain't the NBA and you ain't Lebron, and if he were here I wouldn't go get if for him, either."

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jul 28, 2014 08:57pm

Retrieving a basketball is not in the game officials' job description. Players are paid big dollars to retrieve the ball for the game officials. AND I DO instruct players to retrieve the ball. AND I DO instruct new officials to instruct players to retrieve the ball.

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 938374)

Minority? I have yet to hear anyone advocate this. I would not have been chancing the ball and certainly have never been advocated to do so.

Peace

Nevadaref Tue Jul 29, 2014 02:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 938414)
Minority? I have yet to hear anyone advocate this. I would not have been chancing the ball and certainly have never been advocated to do so.

Didn't an NBA ref go to jail for that?

HokiePaul Tue Jul 29, 2014 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 938414)

Peace

Well there is my association (at least a couple other members here although I don't know how they feel on this issue) ... and whatever association/board oversees the league featured in this video.

Just to be clear, I'm re-posting the email my association sent ...
"There is no NFHS rule or Association policy that states players are supposed to retrieve a loose ball. It is the responsibility of a member of the crew to retrieve the ball while the other member/s of crew observe the players. Forcing players to retrieve the ball gives the appearance we are lazy or out of shape."
I wouldn't go so far as to say that my association "advocates" that we chase after the ball. Policy simply states that it is ultimatly our responsibility and that we should not direct players to do so. I'm surprised at how strongly some of you oppose this--I don't see it as a big deal either way. We're not expected to go chasing the ball every time it goes out of bounds.

I do think, however, that telling players to go get the ball looks bad. I leave directing players to do things to their coach unless it is specifically addressed in the rules/manual/duties. That's why, for example, we say "you can't play with earrings" instead of "take out your earrings". Directing a player to "take out your earrings" is over-stepping your authority, as is (arguably) directing a player to go get the ball.

In an instance such as the video here, I believe that it looks better for the official to go get the ball as opposed to the alternative (stand there waiting/watching players stand around) or telling one of the players to get it (and overstepping your authority as an official).

Adam Tue Jul 29, 2014 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 938431)
Well there is my association (at least a couple other members here although I don't know how they feel on this issue) ... and whatever association/board oversees the league featured in this video.

Not necessarily.