The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block/PC (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98056-block-pc-video.html)

JetMetFan Sun Jun 15, 2014 02:05am

Block/PC (video)

I focused as much on the call in this case as I did on who blew their whistle and the mechanics. Thoughts on whether this should have been a double whistle?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VTqfDxhUYhA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Sun Jun 15, 2014 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 936002)
Thoughts on whether this should have been a double whistle?

But it was a double whistle?

Camron Rust Sun Jun 15, 2014 02:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 936004)
But it was a double whistle?

I think he is suggesting that the lead should have not had a double on this since the fouling defender was coming from the C's primary....and I'd agree.

AremRed Sun Jun 15, 2014 02:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 936006)
I think he is suggesting that the lead should have not had a double on this since the fouling defender was coming from the C's primary....and I'd agree.

Ah, I see. Correct, should be single whistle here from C.

JRutledge Sun Jun 15, 2014 09:27am

I have no problem with the double whistle. Something needs to be called here and the Lead allowed the Center to take the call. I would have little problem with this situation.

Peace

Rob1968 Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:11am

To me, since the defender involved in the play is a secondary defender, it's okay that the Lead has a whistle. If that defender had come from underneath - in the key - it would be more easily understood, especially because the Lead is across the key.
Certainly, it's best that the Center take the call.

On another note, this is a really close block/charge call. Does anyone have it as a charge?

JetMetFan Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 936011)
On another note, this is a really close block/charge call. Does anyone have it as a charge?

Yes, I did. I had it as a PC while watching at full speed.

BillyMac Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:26am

Tough Call ...

Quote:

This is a really close block/charge call. Does anyone have it as a charge?

It's close, about as close as it gets. I see the defender's feet possibly getting there first but her body may still be inertially moving forward as contact is made. I like the block call, but I could live with a player control foul, especially in real time.

Something had to be called here. It's a train wreak. You can't avoid sounding the whistle because your not sure what to call (a common rookie mistake). Sometimes a strong wrong call is better than a no call. In calls like this you'll be right, by educated guessing, about fifty percent of the time. If you don't sound your whistle, in situations like this, you'll be wrong one-hundred percent of the time.

I can't comment on the three man mechanics, remember, Connecticut is The Land That Time Forgot.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3775/1...8029f778_m.jpg

JRutledge Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 936016)
Yes, I did. I had it as a PC while watching at full speed.

I did as well. And I have a PC foul at slow speed. It looks like the defender even stops the moment before contact.

Peace

Rich Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:52am

Travel. :D

Camron Rust Sun Jun 15, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

No...defender never stopped moving forward. Remember, it is about the movement of the body, not the feet. The feet are only part of LGP.

Camron Rust Sun Jun 15, 2014 01:43pm

Quote:

To me, since the defender involved in the play is a secondary defender, it's okay that the Lead has a whistle.

With where that defender came from, I don't agree. The L had 2 other defenders who could have easily become part of the play to look at on his side of (or in) the lane.
Quote:

If that defender had come from underneath - in the key - it would be more easily understood, especially because the Lead is across the key.
Certainly, it's best that the Center take the call.

Agree....if the defender that rotated to help was form the L's area, L should be first on it.

Maineac Sun Jun 15, 2014 04:23pm

I had a PC as well.

Raymond Sun Jun 15, 2014 06:55pm

I see no reason for a whistle from the lead. And I have a player control foul.

Bad Zebra Sun Jun 15, 2014 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 936039)
I see no reason for a whistle from the lead. And I have a player control foul.

Agree. A classic case of the lead "reaching across" on a call that's in the center's lap. Center had an immediate whistle so it's not like it's a bail out/save call. All that being said, it's not like the double whistle looked bad. Only people that would question the actions of the L and C are other officials.

...and I had PC.