The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Miami Heat vs. Indiana Pacers (G5) LeBron James Plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97980-miami-heat-vs-indiana-pacers-g5-lebron-james-plays-video.html)

Raymond Thu May 29, 2014 07:18am

Miami Heat vs. Indiana Pacers (G5) LeBron James Plays (Video)

Just so we can talk about some plays, can we get Lebron's 3rd (charging in 2nd quarter) and 5th (loose ball at division line in 3rd quarter) fouls.

I can look up the times when I get a chance if you need them.

Raymond Thu May 29, 2014 07:52am

6:03 of the 2nd quarter

8:33 of the 3rd quarter

APG Thu May 29, 2014 11:51am

Offensive Foul:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/YOlWoAPW6Yc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Loose Ball Foul:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/O7LYgoRCOGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A Pennsylvania Coach Thu May 29, 2014 12:37pm

IMHO:

First two (first quarter) were both iffy.

Offensive foul (#3) and foul on Hibbert's putback (#4) definitely good calls.

Loose ball foul (#5) could've (should've?) been a no call, but he should be smarter in that spot and not put himself in that position.

rockyroad Thu May 29, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 935065)
IMHO:

Loose ball foul (#5) could've (should've?) been a no call, but he should be smarter in that spot and not put himself in that position.

I would agree with this right up until the point where Lebron takes out Stephenson's legs. At that point I think a foul call was absolutely correct.

AremRed Thu May 29, 2014 01:22pm

Play 1: Charge under NBA rules, block under NCAA/NFHS.

Play 2: Correct call. LeBron fouls Stepheson three times (right arm to the throat, both arms behind back holding, contact to hip causing Stephenson to hit the floor), whereas Stephenson "only" fouls LeBron once (grabbing around the waist).

JetMetFan Thu May 29, 2014 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935070)
Play 1: Charge under NBA rules, block under NCAA/NFHS.

Why would you have a block under NCAA/NFHS?

Pantherdreams Thu May 29, 2014 02:00pm

Charge call is a good get by the official. That is bang bang and big call well. Props to him on making it and getting it right.

The loose ball foul seems questionable. Not from the stand point that it isn't a foul, but with everything else that was let go on that play prior . .

Two hands on Lebron not a foul
Wrap around by Stephenson not a foul
Wrap around in response by Lebron not a foul
Straight arm hold by Lebron not a foul
Bear hug by Stephenson not foul
Hold by Lebron not a foul
Swim move by Stephenson not a foul.
Both now lean into each other to create angle and space.
Lerbon looses angle so he goes to ground which pulls chair out and submarines Stephenon = FOUL.

That is a patient whistle my friend . . .

Camron Rust Thu May 29, 2014 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 935081)
Charge call is a good get by the official. That is bang bang and big call well. Props to him on making it and getting it right.

The loose ball foul seems questionable. Not from the stand point that it isn't a foul, but with everything else that was let go on that play prior . .

Two hands on Lebron not a foul
Wrap around by Stephenson not a foul
Wrap around in response by Lebron not a foul
Straight arm hold by Lebron not a foul
Bear hug by Stephenson not foul
Hold by Lebron not a foul
Swim move by Stephenson not a foul.
Both now lean into each other to create angle and space.
Lerbon looses angle so he goes to ground which pulls chair out and submarines Stephenon = FOUL.

That is a patient whistle my friend . . .

You must have a different video than I'm looking at because half of that stuff isn't in mine.

Camron Rust Thu May 29, 2014 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 935080)

I have a charge at all levels.

Camron Rust Thu May 29, 2014 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935070)
Play 2: Correct call. LeBron fouls Stepheson three times (right arm to the throat, both arms behind back holding, contact to hip causing Stephenson to hit the floor), whereas Stephenson "only" fouls LeBron once (grabbing around the waist).

And Stephenson's "foul" is only a response to LeBron trying to cut off Stephenson's path to the ball by sticking is butt into him. Stephenson got a clean poke (who cares if he wrapped around to get it, it was still clean) and the rest was all on LeBron.

AremRed Thu May 29, 2014 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 935080)

I think PG loses LGP when LeBron changes his path. I do not think PG re-establishes LGP before contact.

Under the NBA LGP rules all that is required is PG getting to the spot first legally (which he does), whereas the NCAA/NFHS rule sets require two feet to be down (which he does not have IMO).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 935084)
And Stephenson's "foul" is only a response to LeBron trying to cut off Stephenson's path to the ball by sticking is butt into him. Stephenson got a clean poke (who cares if he wrapped around to get it, it was still clean) and the rest was all on LeBron.

Yeah. Either get the first foul, the biggest foul, or the last foul I guess. And I think LeBron's various actions throughout the play fit all three.

JetMetFan Thu May 29, 2014 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935087)
Under the NBA LGP rules all that is required is PG getting to the spot first legally (which he does), whereas the NCAA/NFHS rule sets require two feet to be down (which he does not have IMO).

I think we'll differ on that one. I see George establishing LGP with two feet on the floor facing James right before James dribbles the ball.

MathReferee Thu May 29, 2014 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 935087)
I think PG loses LGP when LeBron changes his path.

How so?

Both calls look correct to me.

AremRed Thu May 29, 2014 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 935090)
I think we'll differ on that one. I see George establishing LGP with two feet on the floor facing James right before James dribbles the ball.

Oh I agree that PG has initial LGP before LeBron starts the dribble, I just think PG loses LGP when he is no longer directly in LeBron's path and his "sliding in" to the path after that is not legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathReferee (Post 935091)
How so?

Both calls look correct to me.

Well you can't have LGP without guarding and you can't guard someone without being in their path.