The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What comments warrant T's (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97895-what-comments-warrant-ts-video.html)

jeremy341a Tue May 13, 2014 03:50pm

What comments warrant T's (Video)

Sorry can't embed from my ipad. More proof of my poor video posting skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=ejCZkA6kCNM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ejCZkA6kCNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Tue May 13, 2014 04:07pm

Officials who call fouls on contact after a defender blocks a shot.
Wait, one can't T a partner?

AremRed Tue May 13, 2014 04:10pm

The only ones I'd call without a warning are the wave-off at 1:28 and the reaction at 1:32. The tech at 2:00 was good but if the ref waited just a little bit longer the coach was about to hang himself even more.

The others would depend on how they had been earlier in the game and if they had been warned or not.

Loved the "batting .500" comment, that was hilarious!

grunewar Tue May 13, 2014 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 933974)
The tech at 2:00 was good

"I didn't even curse!" :rolleyes:

BryanV21 Tue May 13, 2014 05:08pm

On the vast majority of these I'd be struggling to hold in my laughter. Otherwise, I'd have to know the context of the situations in order to say whether I'd "t" up the coach or not.

Either way, entertaining vid.

bainsey Tue May 13, 2014 07:33pm

Seen this before, enjoyable each time I view it.

I wouldn't have a T on any of these on their own, but some of these may get a "not again" from me, particularly "Call the foul!" (My pet peeve is imperative statements.) For personal reasons, I enjoy the "We're charting the cawls!" statement. That NY accent reminds me of my father-in-law and late father. (I played it for my wife and sons. They agree.)

I'm on the coach's side for his complaint for talking a kid out of the lane. Call it preventative officiating if you want, but it's not our job to coach. Blow the whistle, and they're less likely to do it again.

Adam Tue May 13, 2014 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 933999)
I'm on the coach's side for his complaint for talking a kid out of the lane. Call it preventative officiating if you want, but it's not our job to coach. Blow the whistle, and they're less likely to do it again.

Like it or not, it's the expectation in some areas, and if you start making the call as you suggest, you'll be a lone ranger working MS ball.

Coaches sometimes complain, but not often.

And yes, I understand your rationale and don't necessarily disagree. But it only works if everyone in your area is on the same page.

jeremy341a Wed May 14, 2014 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 933973)
Officials who call fouls on contact after a defender blocks a shot.
Wait, one can't T a partner?

Funny I was thinking officials who pass on illegal contact because the shooter wasn't put at a disadvantage when he was knocked on his butt. ;)

mtn335 Wed May 14, 2014 10:59am

"Just like the technical foul you gave me shoudn'tve existed."

-a coach who is most definitely STANDING. Oops.:D

Welpe Wed May 14, 2014 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 934000)
Like it or not, it's the expectation in some areas, and if you start making the call as you suggest, you'll be a lone ranger working MS ball.

Coaches sometimes complain, but not often.

And yes, I understand your rationale and don't necessarily disagree. But it only works if everyone in your area is on the same page.

And to a further point, if you start whistling THEIR team for it, they'll start complaining about you making too many calls.

Most coaches don't want this strictly called.

Maineac Wed May 14, 2014 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 933974)
The tech at 2:00 was good but if the ref waited just a little bit longer the coach was about to hang himself even more.

Like standing on the floor at 2:09 saying "Nobody came to see you!" after just getting stuck? That might have gotten him a second one.

bainsey Thu May 15, 2014 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn335 (Post 934055)
"Just like the technical foul you gave me shoudn'tve existed."

-a coach who is most definitely STANDING. Oops.:D

I believe NY uses its own hybrid of NCAA/NFHS rules, so the coach may not lose the box after a T. Could someone who works that state confirm/deny this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe
And to a further point, if you start whistling THEIR team for it, they'll start complaining about you making too many calls.

Most coaches don't want this strictly called.

I'm not saying blow the whistle at 3.0. No-one wants that. When a player reaches three seconds in the lane, and you see no attempt to get out, then rule it. My point is, it's not our job to coach them, and I agree with the coach about his complaint.

BillyMac Thu May 15, 2014 03:36pm

Three Seconds ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 934133)
I'm not saying blow the whistle at 3.0. When a player reaches three seconds in the lane, and you see no attempt to get out, then rule it.

Warn early. Do not warn often. No need to warn the big kid posting up for longer than three seconds, just blow the whistle. Consider warning the kid who just gets lost in the lane.

JetMetFan Thu May 15, 2014 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 934133)
I believe NY uses its own hybrid of NCAA/NFHS rules, so the coach may not lose the box after a T. Could someone who works that state confirm/deny this?

Some of the "discussions" - actually most of them - on the video are in NJ where the NFHS coaching box rule is in effect. In NYC the NCAA coaching box rule is in effect.

I'm not quite sure how it's handled outside of the five boroughs but I know in the immediate suburbs (Long Island, Westchester) it's the same as within NYC.

OKREF Thu May 15, 2014 04:07pm

The two or three rants about the foul count, and the wave off and taking off the jacket would get my attention faster than any of the rest.