The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

NHL imposes no complaining rule for fellow officials

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Examining postseason officiating - ESPN

Interesting that the bickering amongst men officiating at the pro level reached the point at which the supervisor had to impose a gag rule.

How much of this do you observe in your local HS association? How much is tolerated? At what point is it frowned upon or even discipline imposed?

Excerpt from the article:
Stephen Walkom, the NHL’s director of officiating, implemented a rule. After the league decides on the officials who make the cut to work the next round of the playoffs, there is no complaining from those who don’t. No phone calls. No arguing.

NHL officials have to deal with enough outside noise. Internal bickering had to be completely removed this time of year because it was becoming a problem.

“It really hurt the work culture,” Walkom said when we chatted following the completion of the first round of the playoffs. “It was one of those things that you have to try to come up with a solution for it at the end of the year because you’re getting people who are mad they are not working, disappointed and it upset."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed May 07, 2014 at 05:23pm.
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is a rather small group of people in relative terms. I can see why this would be something the supervisor to stop or take action to stop.

As it relates to what we have to deal with, this will never stop. There are too many people and if someone wants to call an administrator or assignor, they are doing so at a great risk. I know people that have ruined their career or opportunity in the future by who they complain to.

Peace
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

So childish. Of course some aren't going to make it that may be qualified. There are only so many spots and way more potential bodies to fill them.

Grown men acting like children.