The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New NFHS Rules Approved For 2014-2015 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97858-new-nfhs-rules-approved-2014-2015-a.html)

Rich Mon May 05, 2014 02:12pm

New NFHS Rules Approved For 2014-2015

NFHS & WIAA revise free throw rule to allow players to step into lane upon release of ball | Wisconsin High School Sports | Wisconsin Sports Network | WisSports.net

I don't have a link from the NFHS, so this will have to do for the moment.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 02:17pm

Great changes if that is the case. It appears to be since Ms. Wynns was featured and quoted in the article.

Peace

Rich Mon May 05, 2014 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933399)
Great changes if that is the case. It appears to be since Ms. Wynns was featured and quoted in the article.

Peace

It looks like the typical NFHS press release. And I agree that it's great -- much more black and white on FT violations now and the "automatics", if handled properly, will clean up the perimeter.

RefCT Mon May 05, 2014 02:23pm

Summary

To summarize for those that think it is TL; DR

4 rules changes.
1. Players in marked lane can go in when the shot released.

2. Regarding contact on ball handler: the following acts will constitute a foul: a. placing two hands on the player
b. placing an extended arm bar on the player
c. placing and keeping a hand on the player
d. contacting the player more than once with same or alternating hand(s).

3. Revised intentional foul definition: "an intentional foul is "excessive contact with an opponent while the ball is live or until an airborne shooter returns to the floor."

4. Changed fashion police rules "by identifying anything worn on the arm and/or leg as a sleeve, except a knee brace. These items, including tights, will now be permitted but must meet the color and logo restrictions in Rule 3-5-3. Previously, this rule permitted only arm sleeves and leg-compression sleeves."

Thanks Rich for finding that. I was wondering when they would come out.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 933400)
It looks like the typical NFHS press release. And I agree that it's great -- much more black and white on FT violations now and the "automatics", if handled properly, will clean up the perimeter.

They went the NCAA route by actually putting it in the rules and not making it just a guideline.

I just got tired of being the only person calling the FT violations. And I would only call the real obvious ones.

Peace

RefCT Mon May 05, 2014 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933403)
They went the NCAA route by actually putting it in the rules and not making it just a guideline.

Peace

I agree. It will be interesting to see the effect on game time that the "automatics" will have. How long will it take them to adjust? At the JV and Fosh levels, I wonder what effect on the game itself will be (are they able to adjust?).

The fashion police, as much as I hate it, will also be easier. Essentially, anything other than a brace must meet the color requirements.

In CT, it is made easier by a local rule that the head, arm and leg "extras" must be the same color. They don't differentiate between upper and lower body like the NFHS rules do.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 933404)
I agree. It will be interesting to see the effect on game time that this will have. At the JV and Fosh levels, I wonder what effect on the game itself will be (are they able to adjust?).

I do not think it will change the game much at all. I think the NF overreacted to some situations where things might have been rough. I do not remember the game being any more rough than any other rebound situation in the game. We just have to call fouls when these situations take place so that this rule stays in place. But I do not see it changing anything at any level of basketball.

Peace

RefCT Mon May 05, 2014 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933405)
I do not think it will change the game much at all. I think the NF overreacted to some situations where things might have been rough. I do not remember the game being any more rough than any other rebound situation in the game. We just have to call fouls when these situations take place so that this rule stays in place. But I do not see it changing anything at any level of basketball.

Peace

Sorry JRutledge - I was referring to the "automatics". Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity and I have edited the post to clarify what I am referring to.

rockyroad Mon May 05, 2014 02:52pm

NFHS | Lane Players Can Release When Free Throw is Attempted in High School Basketball

Not techie enough to do all that fancy stuff, but here is the NFHS link.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 933410)
Sorry JRutledge - I was referring to the "automatics". Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity and I have edited the post to clarify what I am referring to.

Oh.

Well they already (maybe just my state) had made it clear that we were to follow previous guidelines on hand-checking and body contact. So at least in my state were were beat over the head with this just last year for example. There was a whole webnar over the issue in my state. So for us this will be business as usual around here. But I realize that was not a NF POE or constant discussion point.

Peace

Drizzle Mon May 05, 2014 03:17pm

Hopefully the NFHS will add the "arm bar" and "two hands" signals to the mechanics book, since I'm betting officials will be using them.

JRutledge Mon May 05, 2014 03:24pm

Same language?

NFHS Press Release

Someone from the NF was behind us or the website.

Peace

BillyMac Mon May 05, 2014 04:17pm

No Rest For The Weary ...

I'm already revising my Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list.

How does this sound?

Anything worn on the arm and/or the leg (except a knee brace) is defined as a sleeve. These items, including tights, must be white, black, beige, or a single solid school color. When wearing sleeves, all team players must wear the same color; the arm compression sleeve color must match the leg compression sleeve color, which must be the same color for the entire team.

Players in marked lane spaces must not move into the lane until the ball is released by the free-throw shooter. The shooter, and the players behind the three point arc, must wait until the ball hits the rim, or the backboard, before entering the lane, or penetrating the three point arc. In addition, the free throw shooter must cause the ball to enter the basket, or touch the ring, before the free throw ends. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower.

RefCT Mon May 05, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 933429)
the arm compression sleeve color must match the leg compression sleeve color

I think this is only in CT (or maybe other states that have adopted this). I believe the NFHS rule says they can be different colors between the arm and leg, but must be consistent colors across the team.

Can someone confirm this? I could be wrong and don't have my book with me to confirm either way.

Camron Rust Mon May 05, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 933420)
NFHS Press Release

Someone from the NF was behind us or the website.

Peace

While I don't disagree with the change made regarding FTs, their explanation doesn't make any sense.

Quote:

The committee noted that the current rule of players in marked lane spaces not releasing until the ball touches the ring or backboard creates two obstacles for officials: 1) attempting to watch the ball strike the ring or backboard while simultaneously attempting to observe if any players/free thrower violate the lane-line restrictions, and 2) insufficient time for the perimeter official(s) to obtain optimum angles on the players involved in rebounding a missed try.
It isn't any more or less difficult to watch for lane violations relative to the ball being released than it the ball hitting the rim/backboard. In both cases, you have to watch two things. In fact, I think it is probably somewhat easier to watch the ball hit the rim as that is a clear and distinct point in time while the release is a little more subjective.

As for the rebounding angle, I'm just don't see that there is anything there. If you're in good position for the lane violation, you're probably in pretty good position for rebounding. I do suppose, however, that separating the two events may allow for the official to move after the release when the rare occasion occurs that would move them to a different spot.