The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Refs Miss Spurs 6-on-5 Play In Final Seconds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97849-refs-miss-spurs-6-5-play-final-seconds.html)

Nevadaref Sat May 03, 2014 03:40am

Refs Miss Spurs 6-on-5 Play In Final Seconds

Another embarrassing moment for the NBA refs.

From ESPN:

San Antonio Spurs get away with having 6 players on the court on inbound with 1.3 seconds remaining.

http://once.unicornmedia.com/now/ada...csid=undefined

Texref Sat May 03, 2014 07:10am

Happens to the best! Fortunately, San Antonio didn't score because of it, although there may be a remedy in the NBA?

APG Sat May 03, 2014 08:24am

Six or more players on the court is a correctable error under NBA rules.

The offending team is assessed a non-unsporting technical foul. After the free throw, the opponent has the choice of resuming play from the point where play was stopped to assess the technical foul or going back to the point in time when the ball was put in play and the ball became alive with six players on the court. If it was a throw-in, then it goes back to the original throw-in. If it was a missed FT, then play would be resumed by a jump ball at center court between any of the players on the court at the time of the occurrence. If it was from a jump ball, then go back to the original jump ball (same spot and players). All points scored from that point will be nullified except for those scored from unsporting conduct and flagrant fouls. The clock and/or shot clock will be reset to the appropriate time. This CE is only for six or more players on the court.

If SA somehow won the game, it's a safe bet that the Mavs would have filed a protest. They probably would have won meaning the league would replay the final 1.4 seconds of game six. The Mavs would be awarded a technical foul. Then they would have been given the option of making the Spurs throw-in the ball from the original spot with 1.4 seconds or resume play with the throw-in from the side line in the frontcourt after the deflection with .4 seconds on the clock.

bob jenkins Sat May 03, 2014 02:34pm

They didn't miss it. They were in on the play from the beginning -- it's all part of the NBA conspiracy that happens every playoff season.

Nevadaref Sat May 03, 2014 05:45pm

Personally, I believe that the use of video replay has greatly reduced the skill of officiating. People have become too reliant on the technology and don't do the little things that used to be done on the court.

bwburke94 Sat May 03, 2014 06:08pm

I'm just curious, can "correctable errors" be corrected after the clock reaches 0.0? In NCAA they can't...

Jay R Sat May 03, 2014 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 933281)
Personally, I believe that the use of video replay has greatly reduced the skill of officiating. People have become too reliant on the technology and don't do the little things that used to be done on the court.

I would argue just the opposite. The use of video has forced officials to be better than ever. The level of scrutiny has never been higher. I would argue that the percentage of correct calls is higher than it has ever been in the NBA.

Adam Sat May 03, 2014 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 933283)
I'm just curious, can "correctable errors" be corrected after the clock reaches 0.0? In NCAA they can't...

This particular error isn't correctable at the NCAA level. Might be soon, but I don't think you can make this error correctable without allowing it to be corrected after the clock expires.

bob jenkins Sat May 03, 2014 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 933283)

Reference, please.

bwburke94 Sat May 03, 2014 08:52pm

Adam corrected me on my correctable errors post, too many men isn't correctable in NCAA. Still doesn't answer my NBA question though.

Adam Sat May 03, 2014 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwburke94 (Post 933291)
Adam corrected me on my correctable errors post, too many men isn't correctable in NCAA. Still doesn't answer my NBA question though.

Anything that fits within the C.E. definition is correctable as long as the correctable time frame hasn't expired. Whether time has expired is immaterial.

Welpe Sat May 03, 2014 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 933275)
They didn't miss it. They were in on the play from the beginning -- it's all part of the NBA conspiracy that happens every playoff season.

The NBA conspiracy against Mark Cuban none the less.

JetMetFan Sat May 03, 2014 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 933281)

This isn't a reduction of skill. They rushed and no one caught it. NBA officials are very, very good but they're also human.

I saw this online in an NCAA game this past season and I know the officials involved. I felt bad for them but it *was* kind of funny watching the camera pan slowly into the frontcourt to reveal the defense playing a...3...3...zone :eek:

APG Sun May 04, 2014 08:22am

What does replay have to even do with this play? Officials still count 5 and 5 regardless of replay or not. It's not as if there's a replay trigger in the NBA that covers this.

JRutledge Sun May 04, 2014 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 933302)
What does replay have to even do with this play? Officials still count 5 and 5 regardless of replay or not. It's not as if there's a replay trigger in the NBA that covers this.

It doesn't. And why I responded the way I did when I read the comments (but they were deleted).

Video has made officiating much better and people do not guess like they used to without realizing there is video tape to show the play.

Peace