The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kentucky/UConn PC on spin (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97719-kentucky-uconn-pc-spin-video.html)

JetMetFan Wed Apr 09, 2014 03:37pm

Kentucky/UConn PC on spin (video)

Here's the play...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 930873)
I did not love the charge that Verne Harris made, but we have all been there.

Peace

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oYfcgb8QB04?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Wed Apr 09, 2014 05:37pm

Didn't love it then, don't love it now.

AremRed Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:17pm

I've got nothing.

BryanV21 Wed Apr 09, 2014 06:45pm

I didn't see much contact at this angle. Guess you had to be there.

jump stop Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:23pm

Uconn player would be fined if he was in NBA . nice delayed reaction on flop

Nevadaref Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:28pm

Doesn't look like much contact from this angle, bit we have the closed-look. I would be pleased to see the view from the end line (the open-look) which the Lead would have.
If one passes on the contact, the travel which occurs when the right foot is placed back on the floor by the offensive player prior to jumping to shoot must be called.

just another ref Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 931183)
If one passes on the contact, the travel which occurs when the right foot is placed back on the floor by the offensive player prior to jumping to shoot must be called.

Technically it is a travel, but one that is not called at this level.

JRutledge Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:34pm

I did not see much contact there. But then again he has a better angle.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 931184)

One that is not called at any level. Better yet, a lot of travels are called at the HS level that are never travels (along with carry calls) But you mentioned level as if that means something.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Apr 09, 2014 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 931184)

What does that comment mean?
That officials at the NCAA level are supposed to ignore this clear traveling violation?
That the athletes at the NCAA level are so big and fast that the officials don't see this traveling violation and miss it?
That the officials in NCAA games are looking for the contact/foul and miss the travel?
That the NCAA officials have been instructed to not penalize this footwork?

Please pick one of the above and clarify your statement for us because in my opinion this footwork is clearly illegal and gives the offensive player a huge advantage in getting around a defender near the basket. I don't see how the defender has a fair chance of guarding an opponent who is permitted this extra replacement of the pivot foot prior to jumping. It basically makes the attacking post player unguardable.

JRutledge Wed Apr 09, 2014 08:00pm

He is suggesting (what he has suggested for years) that officials deliberately ignore these violations. But he and most never seem to realized, that many of these types of plays are missed. These plays are hard to identify sometimes when you are not only looking for contact, but the feet. And you might not have seen either clearly. It is this stupid myth that NBA just ignores violations and the NF or HS officials are so pure in their application of these violations. I see just as many missed HS traveling calls as I do at all other levels of basketball. That is why traveling IMO is the hardest call to consistently make. And often HS officials call what is "funny" looking, rather than what is actually a violation. This is very much the truth at varsity and lower level games.

Peace

just another ref Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 931192)
What does that comment mean?

That the NCAA officials have been instructed to not penalize this footwork?

That's the one.

The word technical I have seen used by others in this situation. I don't know what that means either. Travels in general and the spin move in particular happen so often without a call that I find it impossible to believe that they were missed. This one is a perfect example.

Raymond Thu Apr 10, 2014 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 931210)
That's the one.

The word technical I have seen used by others in this situation. I don't know what that means either. Travels in general and the spin move in particular happen so often without a call that I find it impossible to believe that they were missed. This one is a perfect example.

NCAA officials have not been told to ignore the footwork. It is simply not addressed one way or another. If it were a problem, the coaches would complain, and the rules committee would issue a POE.

just another ref Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 931228)
NCAA officials have not been told to ignore the footwork. It is simply not addressed one way or another. If it were a problem, the coaches would complain, and the rules committee would issue a POE.

Apparently it's not a problem for them. It is consistently ignored, and apparently everybody is satisfied/used to it by now. It is a problem for me because I call it a travel and people have seen it allowed on tv so much they think it is legal.

Raymond Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 931251)
Apparently it's not a problem for them. It is consistently ignored, and apparently everybody is satisfied/used to it by now. It is a problem for me because I call it a travel and people have seen it allowed on tv so much they think it is legal.

So, you're saying the NCAA needs to generate POE's based on the flack high school officials get from people? I don't think NCAA coaches, ADs, and commissioners are too concerned about that.

If it's a problem for you, then the NFHS needs to issue a POE so that high school coaches are fully aware that high school officials will be calling travels on illegal spin moves, and that high school coaches need to quit giving high school officials flack about it.