The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Notre Dame/UConn Thread (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97709-notre-dame-uconn-thread.html)

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:35pm

Notre Dame/UConn Thread

Not sure how into women's basketball everyone on this forum is, but I personally am very excited for this battle of undefeateds. Except for Doris Burke's commentary. :(

Crew:

Dee Kantner (former NBA official)
Lisa Mattingly
Denise Brooks

JRutledge Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:38pm

Two of these seem to work the Finals every year.

Peace

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 931031)
Two of these seem to work the Finals every year.

Peace

Kantner worked the ND/UConn semifinal last year, and she is the R in what seems like every big game I watch on TV.

Multiple Sports Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:47pm

Bballref -

Had this conversation with a friend who works NCAA-W. I suggested that of the
40 men that worked a sweet 16 or Elite 8, that all 40 were good enough to work the final...

I dont feel that this is the case on the women's side and my friend agreed.....

Your thoughts ????

Would also be curious to what JMF thinks......

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:51pm

Doris Burke after two clearly correct foul calls: "The officials are not off to a good start. Don't put stars on the bench." Basically advocating star treatment.

I'm done...

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 931033)
Bballref -

Had this conversation with a friend who works NCAA-W. I suggested that of the
40 men that worked a sweet 16 or Elite 8, that all 40 were good enough to work the final...

I dont feel that this is the case on the women's side and my friend agreed.....

Your thoughts ????

Would also be curious to what JMF thinks......

I will say that in all the finals I can remember in recent years, it has been all-women crews. Coincidence or no? I wouldn't know...

JRutledge Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931032)
Kantner worked the ND/UConn semifinal last year, and she is the R in what seems like every big game I watch on TV.

Kantner I bet worked the Finals game about 3 years in a row at one point. Again I do understand, but that seems too much. There is not another official, man or woman that can work that game too?

This is kind of why I never really wanted to ever pursue Women's college officiating. It seems like only a certain few even get a shot. And it is too predictable.

Peace

Multiple Sports Tue Apr 08, 2014 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931034)
Doris Burke after two clearly correct foul calls: "The officials are not off to a good start. Don't put stars on the bench." Basically advocating star treatment.

I'm done...

I love my mute button.....although I think that was a WEAK offensive foul call.....

Multiple Sports Tue Apr 08, 2014 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931035)
I will say that in all the finals I can remember in recent years, it has been all-women crews. Coincidence or no? I wouldn't know...

But my question is more depth related.....of the 40 officials to work the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, roughly how many were good enough to work the FF 4....

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 931038)
But my question is more depth related.....of the 40 officials to work the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, roughly how many were good enough to work the FF 4....

I wish I had an answer, that's a question for one of our NCAA-W guys. It wouldn't be right for me to guess on that...

AremRed Tue Apr 08, 2014 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931035)

I doubt any man will ever ref the women's final from now on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 931037)
I love my mute button.....although I think that was a WEAK offensive foul call.....

Not a foul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931039)
I wish I had an answer, that's a question for one of our NCAA-W guys. It wouldn't be right for me to guess on that...

Nice.

AremRed Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:00pm

Beautiful travel mechanic at 12:35 second half.

Multiple Sports Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 931039)

my bad, since you started thread, just thought you were on the women's side of things....

Matt S. Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:43pm

New Sec'y-Rules Editor

I work NCAA-W (but just D3). However, the male D1's I know certainly understand their 'role' in the women's game.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a slight shift in future years with a man at the helm starting next season...

Rich Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 931045)
I work NCAA-W (but just D3). However, the male D1's I know certainly understand their 'role' in the women's game.

What, to fill space until they can put 3 women on the game regardless of officiating talent?