The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Maryland/Notre Dame (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97690-maryland-notre-dame.html)

bballref3966 Sun Apr 06, 2014 05:50pm

Maryland/Notre Dame

Block/PC play by Maryland around the first half 14-minute mark. Was called PC, was questionable it looked like, and Doris Burke started officiating from the announcers' table as usual.

Lcubed48 Sun Apr 06, 2014 05:55pm

Ah yes, the female Billy Packer strikes again.

bballref3966 Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:01pm

Also a no-call just under the 8-minute mark, this time Doris said it was a "great bit of officiating."

Cameron Inouye was the primary official in both situations.

OKREF Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 930707)
Also a no-call just under the 8-minute mark, this time Doris said it was a "great bit of officiating."

I thought this no call was correct, if it was anything I had a block.

Multiple Sports Sun Apr 06, 2014 07:28pm

Doris Burke is worse than Packer and what is worse is I must hear her yap during the NBA playoffs as well.....

bballref3966 Sun Apr 06, 2014 07:30pm

Andddddddd she brings up the high school lack of shot clock...

Raymond Sun Apr 06, 2014 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 930712)
Doris Burke is worse than Packer and what is worse is I must hear her yap during the NBA playoffs as well.....

You don't HAVE to listen to her. Plus, won't you be courtside at all of SF's play-off games? :p

Multiple Sports Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 930718)
You don't HAVE to listen to her. Plus, won't you be courtside at all of SF's play-off games? :p

You are a funny guy !!!!!;:D:D:D:D

LR has invited SF to camp in May, he will be observing all your games !!!! I'm just hoping to work a few games in his AAU Tourney !!!!

JetMetFan Mon Apr 07, 2014 06:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 930707)

I'll try to post both when I get home but Cameron wasn't the primary on the 2nd play.

UPDATE: My apologies, BBR. I was watching the plays without the sound up and on #2 I thought it was the play right before at the Notre Dame offensive end. I keep the sound down so I don't end up posting about the nonsense from the analysts :D

JetMetFan Tue Apr 08, 2014 02:25pm

video added

Here are the plays

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xkQkxKpLFaA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Tue Apr 08, 2014 02:35pm

Play 1: that's a block, defender moves forward into A1's space.

Play 2: defender does the same thing; she won't catch any flack for no-calling this one.

Adam Tue Apr 08, 2014 02:44pm

Play 1:
I don't see any "forward" movement, but I don't think she gets two feet down in the path to establish LGP. Block.

Play 2:
I don't see any forward movement here, either, but I think the defender puts herself on the floor. I could live with either a PC or a no-call.

bballref3966 Tue Apr 08, 2014 04:34pm

#1 should be a block if anything but I could actually live with a no call more so on that one than I can on #2.

I actually have a team control foul on play #2 (contact occurs after dribbler passes ball), the ball handler just plowed over a legal defender after passing the ball.

Maineac Tue Apr 08, 2014 04:56pm

#1 Block. Defender didn't establish LGP and moved into the shooter.
#2 I'm fine with the no call. Defender leaning into offensive player after she passes the ball AND starts taking a dive.

Adam Tue Apr 08, 2014 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maineac (Post 931016)
#1 Block. Defender didn't establish LGP and moved into the shooter.
#2 I'm fine with the no call. Defender leaning into offensive player after she passes the ball AND starts taking a dive.

How is this possible?

Maineac Tue Apr 08, 2014 05:02pm

What I meant was, and I noticed it in the last look on the video, #15 white seemed to me to "lean out" where #25 red was going. Then when she got there, started to dive just prior to contact. Doubtful I would have gotten it at game speed, but noticed it in the above video. I just like the no call here.

JRutledge Tue Apr 08, 2014 05:07pm

I see a PC foul on play #1.

I see no foul on the defender in play #2. I would go TC foul or nothing. Likely nothing.

Peace

AremRed Tue Apr 08, 2014 05:23pm

Play 1: Block

Play 2: TC or nothing

Lcubed48 Wed Apr 09, 2014 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 930998)
Play 1:
I don't see any "forward" movement, but I don't think she gets two feet down in the path to establish LGP. Block.

Play 2:
I don't see any forward movement here, either, but I think the defender puts herself on the floor. I could live with either a PC or a no-call.

#1 - I don't see B1 being set (both feet down) prior to the contact. Block.

#2 - Watching this play live, I thought PC from my view. I still think so.

Adam Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 931077)
#1 - I don't see B1 being set (both feet down) prior to the contact. Block.

#2 - Watching this play live, I thought PC from my view. I still think so.

You still use this word for this situation?

BillyMac Wed Apr 09, 2014 04:16pm

I Guess That Lcubed48 Didn't Read My Article ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 931084)
You still use this word for this situation?

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

“He wasn’t set”, is often an official’s answer to a coach who is questioning a blocking foul on his player. This implies that a defensive player must be set, and can’t move, to take a charge, while, in reality, the rules say otherwise. A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he, or she, has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards, or sideways, to maintain a legal guarding position, and may even have one, or both feet, off the floor when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. However, if the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which, in this case, is a blocking foul.