The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2014, 11:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

UConn/Florida video requests

8:32 of first half crew misses an obvious B/C violation by UConn, and possession ends in 3-pointer.

Then at the 7:34 on UConn's next possession, UConn commits an obvious palming violation which allows player to make a move to the basket for a lay-up.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

video added

Here are the plays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
8:32 of first half crew misses an obvious B/C violation by UConn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Then at the 7:34 on UConn's next possession, UConn commits an obvious palming violation which allows player to make a move to the basket for a lay-up.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:18am
NFHS Official

I thought it was a BC live. As for the palming, I don't see it real clear. Don't know if I would call that or not. I tend to lean towards no.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Play #1: Obvious miss. It should have been called by the C. He had the best look.

Play #2: I cannot see anything there. The ball does not appear to be "more than an handshake" for me to even think about calling this. It is also hard to tell if the ball comes to rest as well.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

The missed backcourt was clear.

I didn't see the dribbler come anywhere close to letting the ball come to rest in his hand.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Play 2: With latest scrutiny to get the block/charge right, the new L should be officiating the defense to observe if initial guarding position is established. The palming violation in question happens so quickly that I could understand if it was missed.

I know this, if the L called the palming violation, an observer in the conference I work would ask, "If you're looking out there (the offensive player), how can you judge if the defender was in LGP?"
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Missed, BC...and maybe a missed OOB just before it. The video is grainy so it is not certain, but it appears that Uconn stepped on the sideone twice just before they got to the division line but the C was so close, the feet would have been below his field of vision (at 17-18 in the video before the 1 step after the pass that was clearly OOB).

Palming...close, but I think I'd pass on that one.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 02:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Play 2: With latest scrutiny to get the block/charge right, the new L should be officiating the defense to observe if initial guarding position is established. The palming violation in question happens so quickly that I could understand if it was missed.

I know this, if the L called the palming violation, an observer in the conference I work would ask, "If you're looking out there (the offensive player), how can you judge if the defender was in LGP?"
Even with LGP, PCs are called blocks, so why does it matter?
Old Sun Apr 06, 2014, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

Referee the defense doesn't mean only look at the defense. Instead, it merely means that you should know if the defender is legal in order to know who to call the foul on. It is very possible to see both the defense and offense at the same time if you're not too close to the play. In fact, you have to also look at the offense to know if the defense had whatever position they obtained in time. That time point is relative to what the offensive player does and when. If an official ignores the offense, they would still get plays wrong.