The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 01:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Versatility? He was straight up and down in his orientation, but not in his direction of movement. He jumped into the shooter.

I agree with you Camron.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
A couple no-calls (push at 16:06 and hit on the arm at 12:46) have caused Calipari to go into a tizzy. He has been warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Clear stepping out of bounds violation missed by the Lead around 10:24 of first half.
I'm going to blame the silly design of the floor marking. Never understood the 2-inch line inside of the thick and solid OOB area. Just paint the entire thing!

Quote:
I like how the officials passed on the contact at 11:05 and then the same exact contact on the other end at 10:57. Perhaps both were fouls, but treated consistently.

Quote:
Harrell called for PC at 2:17, I thought he stayed under control and went to the (legal) defender but not through him.
Quote:
Same play at 13:07, this time no-called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Incorrect whistle for GT (perhaps BI depending upon angle) against Kentucky at 8:00 of 2nd half.

Quote:
Missed PC at 5:08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
1:30 2nd half. Anyone have a PC foul before the foul called on Louisville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
14.2 seconds. That looked clean, my a$$. Easy shooting foul, good patient whistle.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Endline camera angle shows it...you can see body contact before the block, and there is non-vertical movement. But I disagree that the contact is due completely to the defender "moving into" the shooter. A 50/50 bargain there, I think.

But I'm going to change my mind on this one - gotta protect the shooter.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

APG, can we get the pregame, too?
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 05:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Harrell called for PC at 2:17, I thought he stayed under control and went to the (legal) defender but not through him.
Quote:
Same play at 13:07, this time no-called.
Pretty much the exact same play and it wasn't called consistently. This is when coaches are right when they complain about the same play not being called the same of both ends of the court. And yes, I expect as a crew to remember what we called earlier in the game.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #1: Looks to me more like a mistimed jump. I saw this live and I did not think it was a foul.

Play #2: It looked like it went off of UL player. But that is the benefit of replay.

Play #3: Clearly out of bounds, but I understand how it was missed. It is sometimes hard to see all of this coming at you and catch the feet. I know I have missed a call or two like this in my lifetime.

Play #4: First play on the Kentucky end, I think that is nothing. Good defense and no displacement.

Play #5: Good charge call IMO.

Play #6: I think this is a charge, but an embellishment which is why the call was likely not made.

Play #7: That was not GT. The ball was blocked then touched with no chance to go in the basket. But that is a touch call and easier to see on replay.

Play #8: PC Foul and an easy one IMO.

Play #9: I think this is also a PC foul for the same reason in play #8. But I think this was probably a tougher call because of how the players came together. I can see why this one was not called and the other should have been.

Play #10: Seeing this after the fact. I first thought this was a foul live. I see it now and it was IMO a vertical defender. And the shooter throws himself into the defender.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

#1...back push...i think the UK player exaggerated the contact, good no call.
#2. I think the ball brushed the defender's shorts as it went by. Should have been UK ball.
#3. OOB...should have been OOB, pretty obvious....but the lines could be confusing.
#4. Two B/C plays. I thought the UL defender was legal, no call there. I thought the UK defender on the other end was not legal, block.
#5...B/C....embellished to some degree, but still a charge.
#6....B/C....wrong camera angle to tell either way.
#7...GT...correct call. It was on the way down and looked like it was still outside the cylinder (but that was very close). It may very well have missed after the first tip (making it no longer a GT), but that would be hard to tell that close to the basket and live. It went in anyway so it doesn't really matter. And even if it was BI, it doesn't really matter either as the penalty is the same.
#8...B/C.....PC.
#9...nocall before foul...no call was fine...defender wasn't legal, but the contact was marginal.
#10...block call on blocked shot...good call. Defender jumped into shooter taking away his elevation allowing him to get to the block.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2014, 02:33am
AremRed

Play 1: Pushing foul. Tough though, cuz the pass is so far over his head.

Play 2: Foul. OOB cuz I don't see a shooting motion.

Play 3: OOB.

Play 4: Good job officials!

Play 5: No call.

Play 6: No call.

Play 7: Not GT due to the block.

Play 8: Charge.

Play 9: Charge.

Play 10: Probably a foul.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

play #9 b/c involving Hancock - I thought if anything it was a block. He wasn't able to maintain his LGP. I was fine with the no call.

play 10 - thought this was a great block live, and slow mo shows that it was. Vertical defender with a clean block up top. Offensive player creates the contact by jumping into defender.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Before any of us are quick to criticize these guys (and I'm not going to do that), I think it's useful to look through the thread and see how we differ on these calls EVEN WITH the benefit of replay and slow motion / stop action.