The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Hanging on/contact goal tech?

Most know it is LEGAL to hang on the rim to prevent injury, as in 10.3.3 C, but is this limited only to an offensive player making a move to the basket (dunk or lay-in)? Could a defensive player, attempting to block a shot and finding himself high in the air and off balance, be afforded the same exclusion from contacting the goal? I realize issues with basket interference/goal tending would take precedence, as also gaining an advantage (10-3-4a), but what about a play where none of this was present?
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Possible, but unlikely.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

The rule does not limit its application to the offense: "A player shall not...grasp either basket...except to prevent injury." The "a player" and "either basket" suggest, to me, both offense and defense may rely on the exception.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Also applies to players who jump up for an alley-oop and miss the ball for whatever reason. Player safety is taken into account.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

This year I was watching my son play a college game and he went to block a shot (close to the rim) , missed the block and then grabbed the rim to keep from landing on a player. I was waiting for some sort of whistle but nothing happened. He hung on the rim until it cleared up a bit below then let go. I asked him after the game what happened and he said "I was just protecting myself" , I asked him what the official said to him (next dead ball the official was talking with him) and he said that it wasn't a T because the official felt he was protecting himself. I'm not really sure what the rule is but it made sense to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Refk
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
This year I was watching my son play a college game and he went to block a shot (close to the rim) , missed the block and then grabbed the rim to keep from landing on a player. I was waiting for some sort of whistle but nothing happened. He hung on the rim until it cleared up a bit below then let go. I asked him after the game what happened and he said "I was just protecting myself" , I asked him what the official said to him (next dead ball the official was talking with him) and he said that it wasn't a T because the official felt he was protecting himself. I'm not really sure what the rule is but it made sense to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Refk
That's the rule.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post

Just my 2 cents.

Refk
That is exactly what the rule permits and the correct application of it.