The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hanging on/contact goal tech? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97633-hanging-contact-goal-tech.html)

letemplay Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:02am

Hanging on/contact goal tech?

Most know it is LEGAL to hang on the rim to prevent injury, as in 10.3.3 C, but is this limited only to an offensive player making a move to the basket (dunk or lay-in)? Could a defensive player, attempting to block a shot and finding himself high in the air and off balance, be afforded the same exclusion from contacting the goal? I realize issues with basket interference/goal tending would take precedence, as also gaining an advantage (10-3-4a), but what about a play where none of this was present?

bob jenkins Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:06am

Possible, but unlikely.

LRZ Fri Mar 28, 2014 08:28am

The rule does not limit its application to the offense: "A player shall not...grasp either basket...except to prevent injury." The "a player" and "either basket" suggest, to me, both offense and defense may rely on the exception.

Raymond Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:38am

Also applies to players who jump up for an alley-oop and miss the ball for whatever reason. Player safety is taken into account.

Refk Fri Mar 28, 2014 02:13pm

This year I was watching my son play a college game and he went to block a shot (close to the rim) , missed the block and then grabbed the rim to keep from landing on a player. I was waiting for some sort of whistle but nothing happened. He hung on the rim until it cleared up a bit below then let go. I asked him after the game what happened and he said "I was just protecting myself" , I asked him what the official said to him (next dead ball the official was talking with him) and he said that it wasn't a T because the official felt he was protecting himself. I'm not really sure what the rule is but it made sense to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Refk

Adam Fri Mar 28, 2014 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refk (Post 929519)
This year I was watching my son play a college game and he went to block a shot (close to the rim) , missed the block and then grabbed the rim to keep from landing on a player. I was waiting for some sort of whistle but nothing happened. He hung on the rim until it cleared up a bit below then let go. I asked him after the game what happened and he said "I was just protecting myself" , I asked him what the official said to him (next dead ball the official was talking with him) and he said that it wasn't a T because the official felt he was protecting himself. I'm not really sure what the rule is but it made sense to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Refk

That's the rule.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refk (Post 929519)

Just my 2 cents.

Refk

That is exactly what the rule permits and the correct application of it.