The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mandated Wear (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97604-mandated-wear.html)

VACaller Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:15pm

Mandated Wear

Just curious if any of you are in a state (other than VA) that the state high school body has mandated your uniform requirements, in our case our shirts?

Raymond Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:17pm

You're late to this party....LOL

VACaller Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:20pm

What's the thread that I'm missing out on?

bballref3966 Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:20pm

Schsl

The South Carolina High School League has mandated a special shirt beginning this past season.

SK14SC South Carolina Sublimated Basketball V-Neck - Cliff Keen Athletic

APG Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:25pm

I would say almost all states mandate uniform requirements, including shirts. It's just that most states mandate the familiar thin stripes as opposed to the wide stripes that VA is mandating next year.

Raymond Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VACaller (Post 928619)
What's the thread that I'm missing out on?

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post918592

VACaller Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:29pm

Did they explain the reason for it? Was there any objections to the mandate by the local boards?

LRZ Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 928620)
The South Carolina High School League has mandated a special shirt beginning this past season.

SK14SC South Carolina Sublimated Basketball V-Neck - Cliff Keen Athletic

Some shoulders! IMO, that is one ugly shirt.

VACaller Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:39pm

Thanks!

Raymond Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VACaller (Post 928625)
Did they explain the reason for it? Was there any objections to the mandate by the local boards?

One of my boards wasn't happy. I don't know how or if it was addressed to Ms. Sisson and et al in Charlottesville.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:01pm

Yes... Black/White stripes, no side panel, are mandated.

rockyroad Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:50pm

We had officials pulled off the floor at State tournaments because they were wearing the wide-panel shirt (after specifically being told not to wear them) as they are not the mandated uniform.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 928656)
We had officials pulled off the floor at State tournaments because they were wearing the wide-panel shirt (after specifically being told not to wear them) as they are not the mandated uniform.

Please elaborate.
Pulled off the floor prior to the game and instructed to change shirts? If so, how does someone see that in the ten seconds prior tip-off after jackets are removed?
Pulled off during the first half?
Were the original officials allowed to complete the game or was someone else subbed into the spot?

rockyroad Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 928660)
Please elaborate.
Pulled off the floor prior to the game and instructed to change shirts? If so, how does someone see that in the ten seconds prior tip-off after jackets are removed?
Pulled off during the first half?
Were the original officials allowed to complete the game or was someone else subbed into the spot?

One was pulled off before the tip and the game was delayed for about 3 minutes while he went and changed. That was the first day. We were all reminded not to wear those shirts (we had already been informed several times). Later that day, a different official was pulled off about 3 minutes into the game and the Alternate finished the first quarter. Second day, first guy tried it again and was pulled off the court and the alternate worked the remainder of the game (I did not witness the third situation).

Rich Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 928669)
One was pulled off before the tip and the game was delayed for about 3 minutes while he went and changed. That was the first day. We were all reminded not to wear those shirts (we had already been informed several times). Later that day, a different official was pulled off about 3 minutes into the game and the Alternate finished the first quarter. Second day, first guy tried it again and was pulled off the court and the alternate worked the remainder of the game (I did not witness the third situation).

Sounds like an official who should never get another invitation.

Raymond Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 928669)
... Second day, first guy tried it again and was pulled off the court and the alternate worked the remainder of the game (I did not witness the third situation).

How thick in the head is this dude? :eek:

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:14pm

For the second year, State of Florida requires an FHSAA approved shirt for all contests,boys or girls, for all post season play beginning with district contests. Grey with black pinstripes, a different FHSAA logo on each arm and an american flag on the back just below the neck trim. They are hideous and conveniently available from exactly TWO vendors.

In years past, each crew wore their local shirts with the FHSAA patch. Didn't matter which shirts ya wore as long as the FHSAA patch was on left chest and entire crew matched. Lots of grumbling this year...mainly becuse only TWO vendors sold the shirts.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:16pm

Intriguing stuff.
Now for some details which you may or may not have.
1. Who specifically is authorized to stop the game and compel an official to leave the court? State Exec Dir? Tournament Dir? Someone at the site who is appointed by the State office? Is this person a current or former official?
2. For the guy who missed a quarter, why did it take so long? Was the alternate part of the pregame? Was the alternate warmed-up before being pressed into action? Don't want to jeopardize his health.
3. What pay did the guy who missed the 1st quarter get for that contest? How about when he was removed a second time?

Rich Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:19pm

Wisconsin does not allow the side panels in any WIAA game. They also have a clean shirt policy -- other than an (optional) flag patch on the sleeve, there is no patch required or allowed -- no state patch, no association patch.

Officials working state are reminded of the panels and that the crew should either be all flag or all no-flag. Amazingly enough, this didn't appear to be a problem for any of the 30 state games (boys/girls).

To me, this is the best policy of any of the states I've seen. It's that way in all 3 sports I work, too.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 928680)
Lots of grumbling this year...mainly becuse only TWO vendors sold the shirts.

And at what price?

My belief is that if an organization such as a State office decides to mandate a specific uniform (or just shirt depending upon the sport), then it should supply the required uniform or reimburse the officials for the cost of the purchase.

rockyroad Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 928682)
Intriguing stuff.
Now for some details which you may or may not have.
1. Who specifically is authorized to stop the game and compel an official to leave the court? State Exec Dir? Tournament Dir? Someone at the site who is appointed by the State office? Is this person a current or former official?
2. For the guy who missed a quarter, why did it take so long? Was the alternate part of the pregame? Was the alternate warmed-up before being pressed into action? Don't want to jeopardize his health.
3. What pay did the guy who missed the 1st quarter get for that contest? How about when he was removed a second time?

1) Tournament Director, who is authorized by the State Assoc to run the tournament. And he is a former official.

2) He missed about half of the quarter...took a couple of minutes to get back to locker room and change and back to court area, and then there were no significant stoppages of play to reinsert him (no timeouts, no free throws, etc.) And the alternate was in the pregame (required). Was he warmed up? No idea.

3) No idea on pay issues.

rockyroad Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 928673)
How thick in the head is this dude? :eek:

Pretty thick...

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 24, 2014 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 928688)
And at what price?

My belief is that if an organization such as a State office decides to mandate a specific uniform (or just shirt depending upon the sport), then it should supply the required uniform or reimburse the officials for the cost of the purchase.

I want to say around $40 each for the shirt.

Our state association reimburses a game fee (about $53 plus $10 mileage regardless of how far you travel) and that's it. I don't see that changing any time soon. The attitude is that it is a "privilege to work the state tournament so be happy with the assignment".

yooperbballref Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55pm

While at the semi and finals this past weekend in Michigan, I noticed that all the officials had shirts with the wide stripe on the sides. During the season, and the rest of the playoffs there is no requirement on what shirt to wear.

constable Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00pm

In Ontario we have 3 different styles of shirts.

The old grey with black trim.

Stripes- with our without the side panel ( most of us wear the side panel now.. more breathable)

the Fiba black and grey shirt.

My board requires the IAABO patch which drives me nuts. Restricts my ability to buy shirts to one price gauging supplier ( Honig's)

Mregor Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 928680)
They are hideous and conveniently available from exactly TWO vendors.

You think that's bad, we are mandated the sublimated shirt with only 1 supplier. Not only that, but they changed logo and we all need the new logo by next year. So for my $70+ shirt (I think it was about $77 w/standard shipping), I got to wear it a total of 2 years and then buy another one. All this because they got a new "official" supplier. I can imagine that conversation. State Assc: We'd love to give you exclusive supplier status for a fair fee of $xxxxxx.
Vendor: I could do that if you make very official buy a new shirt next season.

It's all about money. Everything is about money and separating you from yours. Partnerships, customer focus, care about the customer? BS It's about separating you from your money. In my closet the 2 most expensive shirts I own are all 3 of my $77 referee shirts (2 football and 1 basketball).

Not that I'm bitter or anything (yea I am), but to pass this off as a change to a logo (if you didn't tell me, I couldn't tell, still can't) in conjunction with a new official supplier, is flat out wrong.

JRutledge Tue Mar 25, 2014 08:16am

The only mandated thing we have to do is not wear the college panel shirt outside of what the rulebook states. Other than that, everything else is highly suggested but not required.

Peace

VACaller Tue Mar 25, 2014 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928687)
Wisconsin does not allow the side panels in any WIAA game. They also have a clean shirt policy -- other than an (optional) flag patch on the sleeve, there is no patch required or allowed -- no state patch, no association patch.

Officials working state are reminded of the panels and that the crew should either be all flag or all no-flag. Amazingly enough, this didn't appear to be a problem for any of the 30 state games (boys/girls).

To me, this is the best policy of any of the states I've seen. It's that way in all 3 sports I work, too.

I agree with you, you've got it good right now! Just wait until they see how much these State associations are making with the manadated shirts and the "royalties"!

zm1283 Tue Mar 25, 2014 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 928688)
And at what price?

Yep.

This is the way officiating is going now. It has crept down into the high school ranks from the college level. Basketball isn't as bad in college because they all wear the same shirt and I haven't seen many, if any, conferences with logos on shirts. Baseball conferences all have their own shirts/hats/jackets, and umpires are expected to buy uniforms for each conference. Of course this isn't done just for the fun of it. There is a reason a short sleeve shirt is $45 and a jacket is $70. I'll let you figure out why.

JRutledge Tue Mar 25, 2014 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VACaller (Post 928777)
I agree with you, you've got it good right now! Just wait until they see how much these State associations are making with the manadated shirts and the "royalties"!

I know that the places that sell shirts or jacket with a logo on them is paying for some licensing rights. Not sure what those agreements are, but that is the case in my state. It is no different than buying official NBA or NFL stuff, you have to get permission to put their logo or logos on a shirt or jacket.

Peace

Dexter555 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03am

You're looking at this all wrong...

I'm delighted to have another business expense for a tax write-off. The more I buy the more I save! :rolleyes:

Rich Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VACaller (Post 928777)

With one of the big Cliff Keen resellers in the state, I've been wondering if this day is coming. So far, so good (for us).

Although, I'll be honest, it really wouldn't bother me. I buy new stuff regularly and one thing this kind of effort does is force people to replace stuff that should've been replaced years earlier. If it drives people out of officiating, it's probably driving the right people out. It's the kickback part and the exclusivity and the resulting inflated prices that bother me.

(I already pay those prices for NCAA football shirts because I like the sublimated placards and logos -- but that's my choice -- I can get the shirts from other vendors with traditional placards and flag/conference patches cheaper.)

Adam Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32am

IAABO state here, which means we have to have shirts with IAABO patches. That means (exclusively) Honig's for shirts. Due to that excusivity, I buy EVERYTHING else from ANYWHERE else.

Rob1968 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:52am

In our area, we all have to have new jackets, for next season. And, you guessed it, there's only one supplier . . .