The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help with Part I question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/976-help-part-i-question.html)

JoeT Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:49pm

Ok, I'm really not looking for a test answer here - I just don't understand the question entirely!

On the part I (NFHS) test, it asks:
(T/F)It is a technical foul if a player strikes the backboard while a try is in flight.

Rule 10-3-6b states:
A player shall not... While a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate.

The word "intentionally" seems to me to be the key here. Since the backboard could be slapped (legally) inadvertantly by a defender trying for a block, I would answer "false." Am I reading too much (or too little) into the question??

Thanks!

Joe

[Edited by JoeT on Oct 12th, 2000 at 01:05 PM]

rockyroad Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:54pm

Oh the wonders of the Fed test...I answered false because of the missing word "intentionally"...a good friend answered true because the word "strikes" implies an intentional act...since we can't read the mind of the test writers, I suggest you flip a coin for the answer to this one...

JoeT Thu Oct 12, 2000 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Oh the wonders of the Fed test...I answered false because of the missing word "intentionally"...a good friend answered true because the word "strikes" implies an intentional act...since we can't read the mind of the test writers, I suggest you flip a coin for the answer to this one...
Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Better yet - I'll answer with what the consensus here says! (Since there doesn't appear to be a "right" answer anyway.) My state (IL) sems to accept EITHER T or F for some of the questions that are, well... questionable! Maybe this will be one.

Does anyone who's involved with the writing of the NF test visit this forum?

rpwall Thu Oct 12, 2000 02:00pm

JoeT ..

I wouldn't worry so much about the test, you have the correct interpretation and would make the right call. Maybe we should push for an essay test!

bob jenkins Thu Oct 12, 2000 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JoeT
[Better yet - I'll answer with what the consensus here says! (Since there doesn't appear to be a "right" answer anyway.) My state (IL) sems to accept EITHER T or F for some of the questions that are, well... questionable! Maybe this will be one.

Does anyone who's involved with the writing of the NF test visit this forum? [/B]
As far as I can tell, this is in fact one of the questions for which IL will accept either T or F.

The confusion comes about because the word "strikes" implies "intent" (see below) -- so the answer last year was T. To make it more clear, and a little redundant, the Fed added the word "intentional" to the rule -- theus making the question unclear.

The dictionary uses something like "to aim at and hit" as the definition of "strike". Notice the difference between aiming at and hitting the backboard (thus, striking the backboard) and aiming at the ball (as in a block attempt), but missing and accidentally hitting the backboard (thus, not striking the backboard).

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2000 02:47pm

The one thing that is always a factor when anwswering any of the NF test is to read the rule itself. If the rule does not read like the question, the answer is false. In my state of Illinois, I would not be suprised if they give everyone the correct answer, but it does not read like the rule does.

This rule is a point of enphasis this year by the NF.

10-3-6 says: a: Place a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage. b: While a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or caused the ring to vibrate.

The key is the word "intentionally". This word is absent, the question should be false.

Jerry Baldwin Fri Oct 13, 2000 02:20pm

I have had two local rules meetings and have administered the test at each. Both times we concluded that the answer is 'T', eventhough the word "intentional" is missing from the test question. In NF we do not have a rule that would allow for BI if the slap, intentional or otherwise, to be called if the vibration causes the ball to come out of the cylinder. Since you would be permitting a viloation of the slap, intentional or not, to cause a basket to be missed; it seems the only call left under NF rules is a 'T'. From that reasoning we concluded the question and intent of the rule is to call the 'T'. The word intentional being added allows the officials to not call a slap, if they rule it accidental or incidental. Thus, in the judgement of the officials a slap can be ignored. Under the old wording of the rule a slap was a 'T' regarless, but it was seldom called. Again the college infulence has drifted down to the high school level.

Suppref Fri Oct 13, 2000 02:40pm

They word the questions to try and confuse us. If you read the rule kind of in parts, for example:
"...intentionally slap or strike the backboard..."
that implies that both of those must be present. If you just read it as "...strike the backboared..." then read the rules question as asked,then the answer to the question is true. Our board goes through this every year, some guys who are very good officials don't score 100 on the test but, they are working state championship games. It takes longer but if you find the rule that that the question refers to and read the question, the answer comes to you. For those of you who are wondering, 15 years ago I scored 92 to pass the test and the best I've done since has been 86. Pathetic huh? It wil be interesting when we get the answers. Whoever gets the answer first please post it. Have fun - - -
Suppref

Dennis Flannery Sun Oct 15, 2000 09:29am

Which test are you taking, and what question # is it?

Jerry Baldwin Tue Oct 24, 2000 09:49am

Basketball Rules Test Part I
Question #5

Jerry Baldwin Sun Oct 29, 2000 09:21pm

I just got my corrected test back from our State Association and the answer to queston #5 is 'C' enventhough the word "intenionally" is missing. This is another example of NFHS making a rule change but not getting the answer correct on the test. The question as worded is false because the word intentionally is missing from the statement. So if you want to get the answer right mark 'C' but understand the intent of the rule as this thread has already pointed out. I might also point out that question #25 is incorrect "I" because of two reason first socks have been elimainated from the logo appreal list and the 2 1/4" limiitation is missing from the question.

Dave King Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

The key is the word "intentionally". This word is absent, the question should be false.

Rut, et. al,

I agree this is a crummy question. I answered "True", and
got the credit for being correct.

Somebody please chime in if you marked "False" and also got it "correct".

dk

bob jenkins Thu Nov 02, 2000 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave King
Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

Rut, et. al,

I agree this is a crummy question. I answered "True", and
got the credit for being correct.

Somebody please chime in if you marked "False" and also got it "correct".

dk

On the answer key that I saw (shhh), both T and F were listed as correct.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 02, 2000 06:21pm

<i>Originally posted by Bob Jenkins</i>[QUOTE}

<b>On the answer key that I saw (shhh), both T and F were listed as correct.[/Quote]</b>

The NF answer key says the statement is ture.

I agree with Jerry. The NF goes to all this trouble to clarify a rule, to essentially stop it from being called incorrectly so often, and then puts an improperly worded question on the test.

Who writes these things anyway?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 2nd, 2000 at 05:25 PM]