The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UNC-Iowa State (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97595-unc-iowa-state.html)

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:41pm

UNC-Iowa State

I think Tony Greene has reached the level of big dawg where he no longer has to hold as the outside official with a block/charge double whistle.

CNYREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:42pm

Video?

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNYREF (Post 928434)
Video?

14:41 first half.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:15pm

Post displacement foul/flop at 2:44 first half. Anyone else see it?

just another ref Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928433)
I think Tony Greene has reached the level of big dawg where he no longer has to hold as the outside official with a block/charge double whistle.

Could you explain exactly what that means?

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:27pm

A fun upward motion block/charge at 3.4 seconds first half.

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 928443)
Could you explain exactly what that means?

Typically, around here, the pregame is that on double whistles, the outside official should hold in case the Lead does not. I'm guessing on this particular play, Green came out strong at C on a DW.

just another ref Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 928450)
Typically, around here, the pregame is that on double whistles, the outside official should hold in case the Lead does not. I'm guessing on this particular play, Green came out strong at C on a DW.

So, y'all are saying that he is saying: "I'm Tony Greene, so I'm not required to follow standard procedure on this play."

And are y'all comfortable with this? I am not.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 928452)
So, y'all are saying that he is saying: "I'm Tony Greene, so I'm not required to follow standard procedure on this play."

My post was mostly in jest.

Given that Greene was involved in a blarge this year (same situation, Greene signalled hard as C) I thought there might be a trend developing.

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2014 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 928452)

I took it as a joke (as opposed to the occasional "that guy really sucks as an official" stuff we get.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 23, 2014 06:36pm

Tony Greene - UNC/Iowa St

HOW DOES TONY GREEN RUN RIGHT PAST ROY WILLIAMS WHO IS SIGNALING FOR A TIME OUT AT THE END OF THE GAME?

You CAN'T possibly have his schedule and do THAT!!!!

OkieZebra Sun Mar 23, 2014 06:38pm

At about 1:21 left in the 2nd - any chance for video?

Iowa State blocks a layup attempt, called OOB ball for UNC. I thought there was possibility to go to alternating possession. Am I crazy on this?

And on the following play by UNC, I thought a man went deep out of bounds under the basket going to the far side then directly caught the ball, but I have no way to rewind it.

And as I'm typing this - the awareness by the officials after the ISU make with 2 seconds on the clock left a bit to be desired. UNC was trying to get a timeout and didn't get acknowledged as the new lead went by.

OKREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 06:41pm

How does the guy right in front of the bench not know that they might want a time out. He turns his back and runs to the end line. Has to be aware of the situation.

OkieZebra, are you from Oklahoma? If so where?

LRZ Sun Mar 23, 2014 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 928457)
HOW DOES TONY GREEN RUN RIGHT PAST ROY WILLIAMS WHO IS SIGNALING FOR A TIME OUT AT THE END OF THE GAME?

You CAN'T possibly have his schedule and do THAT!!!!

I was impressed with how well Williams took the final ruling on the clock, nodding and immediately congratulating Hoiberg. An example of good sportsmanship, I thought.