The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Reuest - Stanford/Kansas (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97591-video-reuest-stanford-kansas-video.html)

RefCT Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:26pm

Video Reuest - Stanford/Kansas (Video)

56 seconds left in the 2nd half. Blocking call against Kansas. Just wondering mechanics wise if the ref did point to the RA. It looked like he did, but the Kansas player was way outside of the RA when contact was made.

The other possibility is the official was pointing to the Kansas player to indicate who the foul was on (although that was obvious).

bballref3966 Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:41pm

Travel?

Also would like to see the Stanford throw-in where Kansas was down 2. It looked to me in slow motion like the Stanford player who caught the throw-in right in front of the end line established his right foot as the pivot, stepped onto his left foot and brought his right foot back to the floor before he got fouled. Perhaps he hadn't established player control yet, but it'd be worth another look.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 928387)
The other possibility is the official was pointing to the Kansas player to indicate who the foul was on (although that was obvious).

I think Kersey was pointing at the player. Certainly wasn't an RA play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 928392)
It looked to me in slow motion like the Stanford player who caught the throw-in right in front of the end line established his right foot as the pivot, stepped onto his left foot and brought his right foot back to the floor before he got fouled.

I didn't see the travel live, but you are correct that is a travel.

APG Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:04pm

Block/Charge:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/r1JQYJdjat0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Throw-In

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/2cvxbOqy2qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballref3966 Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:13pm

Sure looks like a travel to me. Caught the ball with right foot on floor barely inbounds, steps on left, right foot comes back down. Surprised no one else has said anything about it.

grunewar Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928394)
I think Kersey was pointing at the player.

"Bird dog" style? ;)

Raymond Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928394)
I think Kersey was pointing at the player. Certainly wasn't an RA play.

I didn't see the travel live, but you are correct that is a travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 928409)
"Bird dog" style? ;)

Kersey is pointing the RA, but it was a block regardless, don't know why he is pointing.

Definitely a travel.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 928479)
Kersey is pointing the RA, but it was a block regardless, don't know why he is pointing.

Mmm he must have heard about my new "point at the RA even if it's not an RA play" theory.

ballgame99 Mon Mar 24, 2014 08:23am

I saw a lot of birdogging in that game. They were pointing all the time.

APG Mon Mar 24, 2014 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928489)
Mmm he must have heard about my new "point at the RA even if it's not an RA play" theory.

He's lucky that a partner didn't come in and tell him the defender was a foot outside the RA.

IUgrad92 Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 928408)
Sure looks like a travel to me. Caught the ball with right foot on floor barely inbounds, steps on left, right foot comes back down. Surprised no one else has said anything about it.

This play happens 20 times a game and isn't called, not sure why people expect this one to be. Normally it occurs 'out top' or on the wing and not on an inbound pass, but nonetheless, this travel is rarely called and I guess is considered inconsequential or just a game interrupter.

AremRed Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 928525)
He's lucky that a partner didn't come in and tell him the defender was a foot outside the RA.

For real, although I think it was a block anyway.