The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooting Foul? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97590-shooting-foul-video.html)

Raymond Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:16pm

Shooting Foul? (Video)

From Saturday's Pitt/UF game.

12:11 of the first half UF is given a 2-shot foul on a drive to the basket.

That's all I'll leave for the description, don't want to influence anyone's opinion.

APG Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:02pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/nc-EoBcaGLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:33pm

Possession, Point To The Designated Spot, Or Bonus ...

In my high school game, as the calling official, I'm immediately yelling, "That's a pass". I know that it's not by the book, or any book, but we're not robots. At least, not yet.

CNYREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 03:46pm

I think 2 shots was correct it seems to me the foul on the arm made the ball come out as if it were a pass he seemed to be trying to shoot watch his follow through... If it's close why not reward the non fouling team is my thought

BillyMac Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:22pm

Only His Hairdresser Knows For Sure ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNYREF (Post 928421)
I think 2 shots was correct it seems to me the foul on the arm made the ball come out as if it were a pass he seemed to be trying to shoot watch his follow through...

I see your point, but in a real game, in real time, with only one quick look, I'm making a quick judgment call, and only the player fouled will know if I'm right, or wrong.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:38pm

Pass off. If you want the shots, continue to shoot. I'm not going to guess which one you intended.

Now in a situation like the one at the end of Wichita State-Kentucky where the ball lands at your feet and there is nowhere to go but up.....that's a different story.

CNYREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 04:41pm

How do you continue to shoot when you get hacked on the arm and the ball comes out straight instead of up? Look at the play it's pretty obvious he was shooting got hit ball came out he tried following through but ball was gone official notices it and made correct call...

Camron Rust Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928430)
Pass off. If you want the shots, continue to shoot. I'm not going to guess which one you intended.

Not the rule. It is what he was doing when he was fouled, not what he decided to do after. It is your job to decide what he was doing when he was fouled.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 928442)
Not the rule.

Citation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 928442)
It is your job to decide what he was doing when he was fouled.

I watch the play start, develop, and finish before I make a ruling on what actually happened. The finish of this play is the player passing the ball to his friend when he realizes he cannot finish over the defender.

CNYREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:22pm

I completely agree with you...that being said how do you look at that video and not seem him shooting get hacked and ball comes out cuz he lost it??

SAJ Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:24pm

2 shots...obvious he was fouled in the act of shooting as his body language continued that action after the foul. The ball landing in another persons hands is irrelevant.

CNYREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:24pm

I must be crazy I watched it in slow mo 10 times as Soon as he gets hit the ball squirts out...he does not pass it in my opinion

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2014 05:29pm

I see the foul knocking the ball out, and a teammate just happens to be in position to catch the ball. That's not a pass, IMO. The L is in a great spot to see the whole thing.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:31pm

Just because the ball is knocked out of a players hands and goes directly to a teammate, does not mean it's a pass. The Lead, who has the play coming directly at him, sees the offensive player gather the ball, start his upward motion, and follow thru to shoot - only to have the ball deflected to a teammate.

He correctly ruled two shots. That's what it was….a shot.

Raymond Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:54pm

I don't have a foul. I have the defender knocking the ball out of A1's hands.