The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Shooting Foul? (Video)

From Saturday's Pitt/UF game.

12:11 of the first half UF is given a 2-shot foul on a drive to the basket.

That's all I'll leave for the description, don't want to influence anyone's opinion.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Possession, Point To The Designated Spot, Or Bonus ...

In my high school game, as the calling official, I'm immediately yelling, "That's a pass". I know that it's not by the book, or any book, but we're not robots. At least, not yet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think 2 shots was correct it seems to me the foul on the arm made the ball come out as if it were a pass he seemed to be trying to shoot watch his follow through... If it's close why not reward the non fouling team is my thought
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only His Hairdresser Knows For Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYREF View Post
I think 2 shots was correct it seems to me the foul on the arm made the ball come out as if it were a pass he seemed to be trying to shoot watch his follow through...
I see your point, but in a real game, in real time, with only one quick look, I'm making a quick judgment call, and only the player fouled will know if I'm right, or wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 04:30pm.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:38pm
AremRed

Pass off. If you want the shots, continue to shoot. I'm not going to guess which one you intended.

Now in a situation like the one at the end of Wichita State-Kentucky where the ball lands at your feet and there is nowhere to go but up.....that's a different story.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

How do you continue to shoot when you get hacked on the arm and the ball comes out straight instead of up? Look at the play it's pretty obvious he was shooting got hit ball came out he tried following through but ball was gone official notices it and made correct call...
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Pass off. If you want the shots, continue to shoot. I'm not going to guess which one you intended.
Not the rule. It is what he was doing when he was fouled, not what he decided to do after. It is your job to decide what he was doing when he was fouled.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not the rule.
Citation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is your job to decide what he was doing when he was fouled.
I watch the play start, develop, and finish before I make a ruling on what actually happened. The finish of this play is the player passing the ball to his friend when he realizes he cannot finish over the defender.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I completely agree with you...that being said how do you look at that video and not seem him shooting get hacked and ball comes out cuz he lost it??
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

2 shots...obvious he was fouled in the act of shooting as his body language continued that action after the foul. The ball landing in another persons hands is irrelevant.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I must be crazy I watched it in slow mo 10 times as Soon as he gets hit the ball squirts out...he does not pass it in my opinion
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 05:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see the foul knocking the ball out, and a teammate just happens to be in position to catch the ball. That's not a pass, IMO. The L is in a great spot to see the whole thing.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just because the ball is knocked out of a players hands and goes directly to a teammate, does not mean it's a pass. The Lead, who has the play coming directly at him, sees the offensive player gather the ball, start his upward motion, and follow thru to shoot - only to have the ball deflected to a teammate.

He correctly ruled two shots. That's what it was….a shot.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 07:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't have a foul. I have the defender knocking the ball out of A1's hands.