The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Not being caught previously doesn't give them the right to break the rules. If I speed on the way to work everyday and don't get caught till Friday I bet I am still getting a ticket. I gambled and lost just like they do when preforming an illegal move.
This is true except more accurately you are speeding to work everyday but do not know the speed limit/ that you are speeding. Also everyday you drive by a police officer whos is allowing you to travel at that speed. Then one day on the way to work a different officer pulls you over and informs you that you've been speeding and you are getting a ticket.

He's not wrong but I bet you are way more pissed off than if the first guy had pulled you over and warned u/ given you a ticket on Monday.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 03:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
This is true except more accurately you are speeding to work everyday but do not know the speed limit/ that you are speeding. Also everyday you drive by a police officer whos is allowing you to travel at that speed. Then one day on the way to work a different officer pulls you over and informs you that you've been speeding and you are getting a ticket.

He's not wrong but I bet you are way more pissed off than if the first guy had pulled you over and warned u/ given you a ticket on Monday.
Coaches get pissed off all the time. I can't base my officiating on how other people call games. If I had a dollar for every time a coach said this (in 3 sports), I could retire.

All we can try to do is educate through our associations and get people to call the games consistently.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Not being caught previously doesn't give them the right to break the rules. If I speed on the way to work everyday and don't get caught till Friday I bet I am still getting a ticket. I gambled and lost just like they do when preforming an illegal move.
With a travel the kid may not even realize (s)he is doing it if they haven't been nailed for it. I dinged a kid on three straight trips in a game two years ago and he got ticked (he would catch the ball and do a three-step shuffle - without dribbling - to set himself before getting his shot off). The HC calmed him down and definitely wasn't upset with me. The HC eventually told me:

"Ref, you're absolutely right. Those were travels. He's just upset because (wait for it...) no one has called him for it this season."

The game was in January. That's our fault.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
With a travel the kid may not even realize (s)he is doing it if they haven't been nailed for it. I dinged a kid on three straight trips in a game two years ago and he got ticked (he would catch the ball and do a three-step shuffle - without dribbling - to set himself before getting his shot off). The HC calmed him down and definitely wasn't upset with me. The HC eventually told me:

"Ref, you're absolutely right. Those were travels. He's just upset because (wait for it...) no one has called him for it this season."

The game was in January. That's our fault.
I have had one like that in baseball already. Kid does this half windup half stretch thing that is a balk every time. Balked him on a Wednesday. Partner balked him on Friday. Following Wednesday I balked him again. "He's been doing that all year - no one has called it on him yet." Partner (who says what I think quite often) beat me to it with "Sir, I believe you need to upgrade your facial recognition software." and walked away.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My cable provider as a Media Hub feature which allows you to download DVR'd recordings. You may want to look into that. I'm not even trying to look at these videos.
LOL!!!

Peace
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have had one like that in baseball already. Kid does this half windup half stretch thing that is a balk every time. Balked him on a Wednesday. Partner balked him on Friday. Following Wednesday I balked him again. "He's been doing that all year - no one has called it on him yet." Partner (who says what I think quite often) beat me to it with "Sir, I believe you need to upgrade your facial recognition software." and walked away.
I put no stock in the "no one has called it all year" comment. It may be true, but it's at least as likely to not be even close to true.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 05:22pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post

It's still not the cops fault that you got a ticket for speeding. It's yours.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 05:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I put no stock in the "no one has called it all year" comment. It may be true, but it's at least as likely to not be even close to true.
I think a lot of times it has at least some truth to it, particularly with the spin move. Player catches in the post with his back to the basket, makes the same move 3 times in a row. I call the travel 3 times in a row. I don't believe he just started using that move tonight.

Lonesome Dove