The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Euro step travel last minute Dayton/Syr no way it gets called (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97585-euro-step-travel-last-minute-dayton-syr-no-way-gets-called.html)

jump stop Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:17pm

Euro step travel last minute Dayton/Syr no way it gets called

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fXiD1jJL29o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not gonna get called when games on the line??

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 928283)
Not gonna get called when games on the line??

Totally agree. You can't call that when the game is on the line!!

just another ref Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25pm

Not gonna get called when the game's not on the line.

Raymond Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:03pm

are you competing with Jeremy for worst Video Awards?

Camron Rust Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 928311)

Seriously!

Perhaps he could take the video above and play it on a first generation iPhone and record it with a BetaMax Camcorder, play that back on a 1960's TV then record that with a modern cell phone.

Oh, wait, he already did that. :confused:

For those that feel that the video is so important that they have to shakily handhold a cell phone with their finger partly covering the lens to record what is showing on their TV....just don't.

deecee Sun Mar 23, 2014 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928293)
Totally agree. You can't call that when the game is on the line!!

So you're philosophy is throw the rule book out in the final seconds?

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2014 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 928321)

I can't tell if his left foot is still down when he gathers the dribble, so it's not clear to me that this is a travel. If it's not clear, you probably shouldn't call it.

deecee Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 928322)
I can't tell if his left foot is still down when he gathers the dribble, so it's not clear to me that this is a travel. If it's not clear, you probably shouldn't call it.

I can't tell from the video either, and my philosophy on travels is similar to yours. In fact I probably call the fewest travels amongst other officials. I was commenting on their point of view regarding what calls to make when the game is "on the line".

Rich Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:48am

The OP is on some kind of crusade without having an understanding of traveling or the concept of a gather or a pivot foot being able to leave the floor as long as it doesn't return.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 928311)

jeremy wins for most quantity of worst video, jump stop wins for worst quality of video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 928321)

I was being sarcastic. Enforce the rules as written at all times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928334)
The OP is on some kind of crusade without having an understanding of traveling or the concept of a gather or a pivot foot being able to leave the floor as long as it doesn't return.

If jump stop's account wasn't three years old I would have thought we are hearing from potato again.

jump stop Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928334)

I agree I need some better video skills

Stop video at :48 Ball clearly gathered with 2 hands with left foot on floor, he swings ball over his head and right foot is now on floor ( so now left foot is established as pivot foot), he then brings left foot back to floor and shoots. My crusade is that this is a clear travel that does not get called.

Adam Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 928355)
I agree I need some better video skills

Stop video at :48 Ball clearly gathered with 2 hands with left foot on floor, he swings ball over his head and right foot is now on floor ( so now left foot is established as pivot foot), he then brings left foot back to floor and shoots. My crusade is that this is a clear travel that does not get called.

I call as many travels as anyone, and I don't see it here. If you have to freeze frame, back up, and slow motion to see it, I'd rather not call it.

On this play, even with those features, I can't tell.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06pm

There's a guy on my old board named Randy that is known for accurate travel calls. I'd like to see him on these games. He'd call them I know he would. lol

deecee Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:03pm

I tell new guys that if your 2 best calls are 3-second violations and travels you are going to have a tough career.

BillyMac Sun Mar 23, 2014 01:52pm

Travelin' Man, That's What I Am (Lynyrd Skynyrd) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 928381)
I tell new guys that if your 2 best calls are 3-second violations and travels you are going to have a tough career.

Actually. Travels are the toughest call for me. Not block charges. Not weird out of bounds plays (I ask for help if I need it). Not managing coaches (piece of cake). I can easily get the travel at the start of a dribble, and have little problem with most dribble stops (determining when possession begins after picking up the dribble) but I always have a tough time with jump stops, especially the variety where the ball handler ends up with "no pivot feet" but may still legally try for goal after lifting his feet.