The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A little research (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97572-little-research.html)

OKREF Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:57pm

A little research

Sitting here watching games and thought I would have some fun. Went to the box scores of all completed games to this point. Here is what I found.

24 total games played

Fouls called: 902
Free throws shot: 1065

Fouls called/game: 37
FT shot/game: 44

Biggest differential in free throws shot was in the Baylor/Nebraska game. Baylor shot 48, Nebraska shot 16.

Oklahoma State/Gonzaga had the highest totals. 58 fouls called, and 75 free throws shot.

On a side note. Saw that there are still 6 perfect brackets left at ESPN Challenge.

AremRed Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 928118)
Biggest differential in free throws shot was in the Baylor/Nebraska game. Baylor shot 48, Nebraska shot 16.

No wonder the coach was pissed.

Mregor Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 928118)
Sitting here watching games and thought I would have some fun. Went to the box scores of all completed games to this point. Here is what I found.

Oklahoma State/Gonzaga had the highest totals. 58 fouls called, and 75 free throws shot.

That would explain why I didn't like that game. Officials were very prominent. No flow. Just a FT competition. Announcers were even worse.

Adam Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928138)

Not an excuse.

Rich Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928138)

Maybe they should've fouled less.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 928142)
That would explain why I didn't like that game. Officials were very prominent. No flow. Just a FT competition. Announcers were even worse.

I haven't seen the game but everyone seems to be framing this as the officials' fault. Was it possibly a game where the players just kept playing too physical and kept fouling? High foul counts can occur from an over called game or from a game with a lot of fouls.

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 928150)
Not an excuse.

Never said it was.

golfdesigner Sun Mar 23, 2014 07:56am

Expand the Research?

Maybe with all that time you have, expand your research and look at the conference tournament games and maybe even the regular season games to see if there is any trends appearing.

I don't have the time to do this but some of the info might already be out there.

Thanks for what you've already done.

OKREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfdesigner (Post 928317)
Maybe with all that time you have, expand your research and look at the conference tournament games and maybe even the regular season games to see if there is any trends appearing.

I don't have the time to do this but some of the info might already be out there.

Thanks for what you've already done.

The following is for games thru 3-21-14. This will include some tournament games but will give us an overall look. The only way to sort was for each team. All info was gathered at NCAA.COM

TEAM WITH FEWEST FOULS AGAINST PER GAME
Michigan---14

TEAM WITH HIGHEST FOULS AGAINST PER GAME
Manhattan---24

TEAM WITH HIGHEST FT ATT PER GAME
BYU---30

TEAM WITH FEWEST FT ATT PER GAME
Cornell---15

Just by this info, we can see that fouls and free throw attempts are up during the tournament.

AremRed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 928348)
Just by this info, we can see that fouls and free throw attempts are up during the tournament.

Given that 50% of the teams only play 1 game these stats look cherry-picked. You would have to average the fouls across every game of the tournament and then compare it to the same average from previous tournaments.

OKREF Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 928359)
Given that 50% of the teams only play 1 game these stats look cherry-picked. You would have to average the fouls across every game of the tournament and then compare it to the same average from previous tournaments.

True, probably better to wait until the end of the tournament and revisit it.