The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OK State / Gonzaga (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97569-ok-state-gonzaga-video.html)

deecee Fri Mar 21, 2014 06:03pm

OK State / Gonzaga (Video)

2nd Half 5:40 IF. I thought it was a rather poor call. Video would be nice.

Mregor Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18pm

Was that the grab of the waist and the 5th on that particular player? The officiating didn't seem very consistent the whole game. I have no dog in the fight except I had OK State in my bracket, but I think it was one of the most inconsistently called games I've watched. And the announcers had no clue at all and maybe that was part of it that just made it an awkward game. That didn't help. The Hack a Polack remark? WOw! He apologized at least twice for it but I'm sure he caught lot more flack off mic.

deecee Sat Mar 22, 2014 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 928140)
Was that the grab of the waist and the 5th on that particular player? The officiating didn't seem very consistent the whole game. I have no dog in the fight except I had OK State in my bracket, but I think it was one of the most inconsistently called games I've watched. And the announcers had no clue at all and maybe that was part of it that just made it an awkward game. That didn't help. The Hack a Polack remark? WOw! He apologized at least twice for it but I'm sure he caught lot more flack off mic.

Yup it was the grab of the waist. Tough sell IMO and the comment made me LOL. I think he forgot that he was on national TV.

Rich Sat Mar 22, 2014 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 928172)
Yup it was the grab of the waist. Tough sell IMO and the comment made me LOL. I think he forgot that he was on national TV.

I wonder if there's any way the announcer keeps his job after that.

deecee Sat Mar 22, 2014 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 928176)
I wonder if there's any way the announcer keeps his job after that.

Honestly I don't see how he could. In reality he should be able to. Just take a look at all the cheating coaches that get second, third and fourth chances. In my book saying an off color remark is way better than cheating.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 22, 2014 01:14pm

video added

Here's the play. Apologies for the quality...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2ao7eMorUYk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SAJ Sat Mar 22, 2014 01:19pm

wow

Camron Rust Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:09pm

I'm not sure that is even a foul, much less a FF1.

Adam Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:58pm

I can't see the grab, but the official right there had a great view of the hand coming around. I'll defer to him unless we get his angle.

JugglingReferee Sat Mar 22, 2014 04:12pm

Deferring to the covering official's coverage of the play, I believe a common foul is the better call.

MechanicGuy Sat Mar 22, 2014 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 928140)

I thought it was very consistent. Consistently over-officiated, but consistent nonetheless. Not a particularly fun game to watch, even as a Zags fan.

MechanicGuy Sat Mar 22, 2014 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 928172)

I don't think he realized Polack was a slur. In his mind, he may as well have been saying "Hack-a-Pole"...he was simply ignorant to the word's history and meaning.

BillyMac Sat Mar 22, 2014 06:05pm

Faith N’ Begorrah ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 928257)
I don't think he realized Polack was a slur. In his mind, he may as well have been saying "Hack-a-Pole"...he was simply ignorant to the word's history and meaning.

If he had said "Hack-A-Mick", I would have been surprised at the television announcer's insensitivity, but I would have not been overly offended, especially if the announcer pleaded ignorance, and then apologized.

Of course I can't speak for the Ancient Order of Hibernians, who recently called on Walmart to stop selling T-shirts that said, "I May Not Be Irish, But I Can Drink Like One”.

Man, after all this posting today, I can really use a cold beer.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...61784&pid=15.1

AremRed Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:49pm

Not an INT. Maybe not even a foul.