The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Book T Harvard/Cincy (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97553-book-t-harvard-cincy.html)

OKREF Thu Mar 20, 2014 01:35pm

Book T Harvard/Cincy

How does a guy not get in the book during a tournament game. Unbelievable.

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Mar 20, 2014 01:37pm

My thoughts exactly.I mean you have all sorts of opportunity to prep between pre-game warmup and the mandatory shoot around.In college who does it fall to to submit a correct roster?

johnny d Thu Mar 20, 2014 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 927871)
My thoughts exactly.I mean you have all sorts of opportunity to prep between pre-game warmup and the mandatory shoot around.In college who does it fall to to submit a correct roster?

I am sure the HC delegates that to one of his assistants, but the ultimate responsibility is on the HC.

Adam Thu Mar 20, 2014 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 927873)
I am sure the HC delegates that to one of his assistants, but the ultimate responsibility is on the HC.

And an AC will be looking for a new job tomorrow.

grunewar Thu Mar 20, 2014 06:09pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...193608500.html

BillyMac Thu Mar 20, 2014 06:13pm

'Nough Said ...

"Lucy, you’ve got some ‘splainin’ to do!"

Blindolbat Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48pm

I don't know about college, but our HS association has basically told us that if this happens, it is our fault for not checking and double-checking with coaches and scorekeepers before we sign off on the book.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 928050)
I don't know about college, but our HS association has basically told us that if this happens, it is our fault for not checking and double-checking with coaches and scorekeepers before we sign off on the book.

Is it also your fault when the coach gets penalized for not staying in the box? How about if a kid dunks in pregame warmups? Wait, what if the team is late coming out from a TO?
Wouldn't want to work for an association that blames its officials for the errors of the coaches and players.

deecee Fri Mar 21, 2014 01:07pm

Quote:

Why doesn't your associations just have you guys coach as well.

Adam Fri Mar 21, 2014 01:13pm

Quote:

Good grief. I check to ensure there are at least as many names in the book as players warming up. I don't go any further. It's not fool proof, but I don't worry about the fools.

Dexter555 Fri Mar 21, 2014 01:34pm

Quote:

I'm appalled by this, but sincerely curious as well. Are you to have the kids remove their warmups, check numbers/names as well? At what point does your "responsibility" end there?

Amesman Fri Mar 21, 2014 01:51pm

I bet we would have heard by now but what are the odds they gave it but it somehow wasn't entered in the book? After all, the responsibility's only that it's submitted, right?

Ahhh, never mind. This is the big-time.

Stat-Man Fri Mar 21, 2014 03:14pm

Quote:

I know the OP is about NCAA, but even in HS with preventative officiating, you can't eliminate this kind of error.

Case in point: this winter I was the R for a JV girls game. At the appropriate time, I inspect the official book and with both teams wearing warmups, I make sure both teams have as many players as there are names in the book.

in the first quarter, as we're about to shoot free throws, the scorer gets my attention. A player that just entered the game is wearing a different number than what was in either score book. I'm not sure how else one can prevent that without becoming an OOO or That Guy.

BillyMac Fri Mar 21, 2014 05:19pm

A Delightful Cup Of Tea ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 928082)
... the scorer gets my attention. A player that just entered the game is wearing a different number than what was in either score book. I'm not sure how else one can prevent that ...

Check the roster (may not be the same as a scorebook) that was submitted (maybe a piece of paper handed to the scorekeeper). If the number is still different than what's on the player, then you go with the technical foul, and there is absolutely no way, at least that I know of, that an official can prevent that, so don't feel guilty about it.

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 927871)

In every NCAA game for which I've done the book, a member of the SID staff gave us the roster (usually well before the 10 minute requirement), then one of the assistant coaches would give us the starting lineup, check the book, and sign off on it. (Most would actually sign their names.)