The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continuous Motion? (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97542-continuous-motion-video.html)

JetMetFan Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03am

Continuous Motion? (video)

This was posted in a FB group of which I'm a member. I normally don't leave the sound up on the slo-mo but I thought it might be relevant.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WTs9N3nDlws?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bob jenkins Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10am

Hard to tell from the video when (or if) he was fouled and what he might have done afterwards (for example he *might* have been fouled as he was turning around, then pulled the ball back and started another shot after getting more facing the basket).

JRutledge Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26am

I hate the mechanic of pointing to the floor.

But it is possible that the foul took place before the shooting motion started. But if you have a patient whistle, give the offensive player everything they got.

Peace

Rich Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:28am

I'll just jump in and say that this game was in Michigan, not in Wisconsin. I've also decided that I'm not commenting on any plays posted on the Internet this week. :)

twocentsworth Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32am

Since he started, stopped, and then re-started his upward motion....I'm inclined to way off the shot. However, I'd have to be there - working the game - to give you a true opinion (the video & sound provided don't give me quite enough to be 100% positive).

JetMetFan Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 927700)
I'll just jump in and say that this game was in Michigan, not in Wisconsin. I've also decided that I'm not commenting on any plays posted on the Internet this week. :)

Sorry about that. Of course, it explains why I wasn't able to find another version while searching Wisconsin :o

The title has been adjusted.

ballgame99 Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48am

That looks like a good bucket to me. The bump that appears to draw the whistle was on the upward motion. Unless the whistle was late from a previous foul that I don't see, count that bucket.

Multiple Sports Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50am

Score the basket !!!!!!

Every camp I have ever attended, I have always been told to score the basket, especially if you are in doubt or the play is borderline ........

With the official running to the spot and pointing to the floor 50 times,I doubt he is much of a "camper"....

BTW - Somebody tell my man to get a pair of pants one size bigger !!!!!!

AremRed Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 927717)
That looks like a good bucket to me. The bump that appears to draw the whistle was on the upward motion. Unless the whistle was late from a previous foul that I don't see, count that bucket.

I think the official just wanted to show off his pristine "on the floor" mechanic.

Blindolbat Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51am

I don't see a dribble, a pump fake, nothing that would keep me from counting this basket.
Oh, and I dislike the point to the floor mechanic too.

VaTerp Wed Mar 19, 2014 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 927704)
Since he started, stopped, and then re-started his upward motion....I'm inclined to way off the shot. However, I'd have to be there - working the game - to give you a true opinion (the video & sound provided don't give me quite enough to be 100% positive).

I'm not seeing any of this starting, stopping, re-start that you are referencing.

That basket should be good all day, every day.

JetMetFan Wed Mar 19, 2014 05:42pm

1. I'm still in search of another angle. My guess is something pops up over the next few days.
2. The mechanic = not so much.
3. If he was calling a foul as A1 prepared to shoot that wasn't the best option. Any contact prior to the shooting motion didn't affect RSBQ.
4. When I first saw the play the voices of my mentors popped into my head: "If you're going to wave off *that* shot at *that* point in the game, Stevie Wonder in the last row better be able to see he wasn't in the act of shooting!"

BryanV21 Wed Mar 19, 2014 09:29pm

We're taught never to say "on the floor" or use a mechanic pointing to the floor. Simply wave off the shot.

Rich Wed Mar 19, 2014 09:35pm

I don't mind a judicious use of a point to the floor.

This wasn't it.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 20, 2014 09:22am

Can we discuss the physical fitness of the official in this video or will my posts get deleted?