The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:35pm
NFHS Official

Book T Harvard/Cincy

How does a guy not get in the book during a tournament game. Unbelievable.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts exactly.I mean you have all sorts of opportunity to prep between pre-game warmup and the mandatory shoot around.In college who does it fall to to submit a correct roster?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 01:38pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
My thoughts exactly.I mean you have all sorts of opportunity to prep between pre-game warmup and the mandatory shoot around.In college who does it fall to to submit a correct roster?

I am sure the HC delegates that to one of his assistants, but the ultimate responsibility is on the HC.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I am sure the HC delegates that to one of his assistants, but the ultimate responsibility is on the HC.
And an AC will be looking for a new job tomorrow.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 06:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...193608500.html
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Nough Said ...

"Lucy, you’ve got some ‘splainin’ to do!"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about college, but our HS association has basically told us that if this happens, it is our fault for not checking and double-checking with coaches and scorekeepers before we sign off on the book.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I don't know about college, but our HS association has basically told us that if this happens, it is our fault for not checking and double-checking with coaches and scorekeepers before we sign off on the book.
Is it also your fault when the coach gets penalized for not staying in the box? How about if a kid dunks in pregame warmups? Wait, what if the team is late coming out from a TO?
Wouldn't want to work for an association that blames its officials for the errors of the coaches and players.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why doesn't your associations just have you guys coach as well.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good grief. I check to ensure there are at least as many names in the book as players warming up. I don't go any further. It's not fool proof, but I don't worry about the fools.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm appalled by this, but sincerely curious as well. Are you to have the kids remove their warmups, check numbers/names as well? At what point does your "responsibility" end there?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I bet we would have heard by now but what are the odds they gave it but it somehow wasn't entered in the book? After all, the responsibility's only that it's submitted, right?

Ahhh, never mind. This is the big-time.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:14pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
I know the OP is about NCAA, but even in HS with preventative officiating, you can't eliminate this kind of error.

Case in point: this winter I was the R for a JV girls game. At the appropriate time, I inspect the official book and with both teams wearing warmups, I make sure both teams have as many players as there are names in the book.

in the first quarter, as we're about to shoot free throws, the scorer gets my attention. A player that just entered the game is wearing a different number than what was in either score book. I'm not sure how else one can prevent that without becoming an OOO or That Guy.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Delightful Cup Of Tea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
... the scorer gets my attention. A player that just entered the game is wearing a different number than what was in either score book. I'm not sure how else one can prevent that ...
Check the roster (may not be the same as a scorebook) that was submitted (maybe a piece of paper handed to the scorekeeper). If the number is still different than what's on the player, then you go with the technical foul, and there is absolutely no way, at least that I know of, that an official can prevent that, so don't feel guilty about it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 21, 2014 at 11:07pm.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
In every NCAA game for which I've done the book, a member of the SID staff gave us the roster (usually well before the 10 minute requirement), then one of the assistant coaches would give us the starting lineup, check the book, and sign off on it. (Most would actually sign their names.)