The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disconcertion call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97497-disconcertion-call-video.html)

jeremy341a Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30am

Disconcertion call (Video)

Good call IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j0L0JxD5IRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Indianaref Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:31am

Yes, good call.

rockyroad Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39am

Two questions:

1) Tacoma CC??

2) Is that Marci H. at Lead??

No issues with the call.

BillyMac Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:28pm

No Issues ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 926869)
No issues with the call.

No issues? None at all?

Why "report" the violation with a "formal" signal to the table, verbalizing, "White one"? We've got a few scorekeepers around these parts who could record this as a foul.

Under which (two person) mechanics set is the trail responsible for the near side players in the marked lane spaces (as well as the shooter)?

AremRed Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 926950)
No issues? None at all?

Why "report" the violation with a "formal" signal to the table, verbalizing, "White one"? We've got a few scorekeepers around these parts who could record this as a foul.

Under which (two person) mechanics set is the trail responsible for the near side players in the marked lane spaces (as well as the shooter)?

Signalling the number isn't necessarily reporting to the table, it's letting the coaches know exactly who violated. Pretty common practice I think. I would hope that most scorers know that calling disconcertion and reshooting the FT is not a foul.

This looks like three man. And, according to my mechanics manual both the T in two man and C in three man have the same responsibilities for players in the lane, albeit reversed.

BillyMac Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 926954)
This looks like three man.

What's "three man"? Remember, I'm from Connecticut, "The Land That Time Forgot".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 926954)
Signaling the number isn't necessarily reporting to the table, it's letting the coaches know exactly who violated.

We've been taught to never automatically report any violations (three seconds, free throw violations, etc.). If a coach asks, we'll respond by pointing to the player, or giving him the number (as quietly as possible).

No way we're signaling the number, especially toward the table.

Check your mechanics manual. If it doesn't say to report and/or signal, then for Pete's sake, don't report and/or signal.

grunewar Thu Mar 13, 2014 08:10pm

Agree with the call.

How tall is #30? Wow!

stratref Thu Mar 13, 2014 09:12pm

First, this is college, community college, but college.
It has to be Tacoma CC, the NWAACC was the give away to me, and there are no other "TCC" in the NWAACC.

In a college setting I am expecting some level of competency from the scorekeeper, maybe I am asking too much but that would be my expectation.

Second, as soon as I saw he waiving her arms I said good call.

I don't know the CCA manual but might there be a mechanics difference? I don't know.

Coach saying "Shes been doing it the whole game", is it possible that when she has done it before the free throw was made?

To me it looks to be intentional and the call was warranted, notice #1 doesn't take a spot along the lane for the replacement throw. That tells me that she was trying to disconcert the shooter and when told that it would not be allowed she went to do something else to help her team.

Jasper

rockyroad Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 926950)
No issues? None?

Nope.

None.

bob jenkins Fri Mar 14, 2014 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratref (Post 926987)
I don't know the CCA manual but might there be a mechanics difference? I don't know.

by the book, this was L's call. Some crews change it so that each official watches the side closest to the official. (In fact, that question was on the NCAAW survey -- and I supported the potential change).

Or, maybe that official had talked with the player, but hadn't had a chance to talk with the crew, so needed to get the violation.

BillyMac Fri Mar 14, 2014 08:02pm

It's An Issue ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 927017)
By the book, this was L's call.

It is in our Connecticut two person game.

https://yahoov4s1-a.akamaihd.net/sl/...21ea6a80_m.jpg

Rich1 Fri Mar 14, 2014 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 927107)
It is in our Connecticut two person game.

https://yahoov4s1-a.akamaihd.net/sl/...21ea6a80_m.jpg

In Texas its basically the same mechanic for 2-man with each ref watching the side opposite of where he stands. Technically, the L also watches the first spot on his side as well but we mostly just watch the opposite sides. And its the same for 3-man for the L and C.

However, I don't see the big deal with the T calling this, especially since he is looking right through this area to watch the other side.

While its always great to stay in your primary assigned area, there is nothing wrong with making a good call when you see it. It would be more of an issue for me if you saw and ignored a call just because it was not your area to watch.

BillyMac Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38pm

Ants, Elephants, Misdemeanors, Felonies, Four Eyes On The Ball ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 927111)
It would be more of an issue for me if you saw and ignored a call just because it was not your area to watch.

I wish I had a dime for every time we've had a post regarding calling, or not calling, outside of one's primary coverage area. I'd be living in that villa in Tuscany.