The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Should this be a no call? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97495-should-no-call-video.html)

jeremy341a Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24am

Should this be a no call? (Video)

To me this play should have a whistle. In my mind this is an easy block. Thoughts?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CUu6pZo6e7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26am

I've got a whistle, but I don't think it's a block.

Indianaref Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26am

Should have been a whistle, oh well, sometimes we miss them just like the players.

Raymond Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46am

I would have a block for defender moving into the shooter.

walt Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51am

I agree it needs a whistle. Defenders contact redirects the ball handler.

jeremy341a Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 926855)
I've got a whistle, but I don't think it's a block.

Do you have a charge or do you think her pivot comes down before the contact? The pivot is very close.

HokiePaul Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57am

Looks like an easy block call to me. Defender may have had LGP initially, but did not move to maintain it as the offensive drove past her. The defender then moved into the offensive player and made contact.

Pantherdreams Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:08pm

Its really hard to tell angles and depths from the video. I'm ok with a no call but if you do you better be ready for a night of bodies on the floor trying to get calls that aren't coming.

I'm not sure the D did anything wrong here. Granted her movements are not conventional sliding or what I would consider good defense but she had LGP and appears to move laterally. The difficulty from this angle is you can't see if she's turning to absorb contact as she moves sideways and the offensive player moves in or if she's turning to try to recover an angle the offense player already has.

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 926881)
Do you have a charge or do you think her pivot comes down before the contact? The pivot is very close.

My initial thought was block, then I started looking and saw LGP and lateral movement. However, it looks like the dribbler sufficiently changes her path that the defender's LGP is lost in the shuffle.

I'd call the block.

twocentsworth Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45pm

WTF? That's a block.

Even if you think it should be a PC foul......THIS PLAY MUST HAVE A WHISTLE!

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 926916)
Even if you think it should be a PC foul......THIS PLAY MUST HAVE A WHISTLE!

I agree with this on this play. Both players were disadvantaged by the contact. The one responsible deserves a foul.

AremRed Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54pm

Block

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Mar 13, 2014 02:14pm

This was not a bam bam block/charge. This was a very easy block or push (how ever you see it) by the defender. As everybody outside our profession knows, we are blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other and we all should have had a foul by the defender in this play.

MTD, Sr.

Bad Zebra Thu Mar 13, 2014 03:32pm

First instinct was BLOCK. Confirmed by replaying second time...defender appeared to turn and bump defender before establishing LGP in ballhandlers (new) path.

In any event, I agree with everyone else...call SOMETHING here. No whistle looks bad in this one.

#olderthanilook Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:03pm

need a whistle on that one. no lgp obtained. block.