The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simultaneous violation? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97489-simultaneous-violation-video.html)

jeremy341a Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03am

Simultaneous violation? (Video)

Is this a simultaneous violation or do you feel one of them violated first?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eWtsmd52OUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

JRutledge Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18am

You cannot have simultaneous violations on the lane line. The first one is considered to cause the second one. If a player came from behind the circle or 3 point line or the shooter missed the rim, then you could have a simultaneous violation. But not in this case.

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21am

Simultaneous

Adam Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21am

Defense violates first, IMO, by a split second. Either way, I'm not sure they administered it correctly. If it was the defense, there should be another shot. If it was ruled simultaneous, they should have informed the table they would be using the arrow.

Indianaref Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:37am

Looks very close to being simultaneous. Go to arrow.

AremRed Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39pm

Defense moved leg in causing white jersey player to also violate. Get the first one.

stick Thu Mar 13, 2014 03:04pm

From the video angle the black jersey team violated first. Should be another shot for white--unless of course he made the ft. I suppose it's possible but it would be tough to have a simultaneous lane violation.

BillyMac Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:37pm

Splitting Hairs ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 926842)
You cannot have simultaneous violations on the lane line.

Disagree. Possible, but not probable.

JetMetFan Thu Mar 13, 2014 04:59pm

If I had to call one as opposed to the other I would've called it on the defense, though I could live with a simultaneous (which is possible). It appears the crew called it on the offense.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 15, 2014 03:17am

def was in first

ballgame99 Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:23am

Looks like th T had a violation on defense (sideways fist), but that's not even his call is it? He should be looking across should he not?

deecee Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 927360)
Looks like th T had a violation on defense (sideways fist), but that's not even his call is it? He should be looking across should he not?

There is no his call, her call. If you see something that needs to be called you call it. WE have primary coverage areas but by no means are we NOT allowed to call outside our primary responsibility.

BryanV21 Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34am

I can't get to my rule book right now, but I know we talked about something like this before involving the FT shooter missing the rim afterwards. So, if we assume the defender was the first to violate, tell me if I remember this right...

1. Defender in a marked lane space violates, leading to a delayed violation.

2. Offensive player in a marked lane space violates, but it is ignored as he/she was drawn to violate due to the defense.

3. FT shooter misses rim, which is also a violation.

4. Due to the defender violating first, the offensive player's violation being ignored, and the FT shooter missing the rim, we have a double violation (that term may not be right, but stay with me... LOL) therefore we go to the AP arrow to see who gets a throw-in along the end line.

Now... in this case... since the FT touched the rim before the miss, we only penalize the defender for a lane violation, meaning the player gets another FT.

deecee Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33pm

If the defense violates and disconcerts then missing the rim is NOT a violation that would prevent the shooter from getting another attempt.

Adam Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 927395)
If the defense violates and disconcerts then missing the rim is NOT a violation that would prevent the shooter from getting another attempt.

If the defense violates prior to the release of the shot, I'm going with disconcertion and only penalizing the defense. If the defense violations after the release, I'm going with the simultaneous violation.