The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Mount St. Marys/Robert Morris -- Technical Foul Reversed

At the 8:35 mark in the 2nd half, a MSM player steals the ball and dunks it on the fast break. The Lead official calls a technical foul for hanging on the rim. The game went to commercial and when it resumed, the T-foul had been reversed and was not charged.

I didn't know you could 'take back' a T once it has been called? Is this in the rule book? Am I missing something?

If someone would like to post the video for discussion, you can.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 08:04pm
In Time Out

I've seen it done a couple of times in NCAA and once in the NBA. But that was so the star player wouldn't get kicked out, ha. It was a preseason game.
Has anyone reversed one in a High School game?
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
At the 8:35 mark in the 2nd half, a MSM player steals the ball and dunks it on the fast break. The Lead official calls a technical foul for hanging on the rim. The game went to commercial and when it resumed, the T-foul had been reversed and was not charged.

I didn't know you could 'take back' a T once it has been called? Is this in the rule book? Am I missing something?

If someone would like to post the video for discussion, you can.
Sure you can. If you partner has a different POV than you he/she can share it and you can then decide what you want to do. Was the T in error and called to quick, which it may have been here. No calls are necessarily absolute until they are reported, but 99.99% what is called on the spot is what is going in the book.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Another official must have had additional information. If it was just judgment, then it shuldn't have been reversed.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Another official must have had additional information. If it was just judgment, then it shuldn't have been reversed.
You are correct. During the commercial break the officials huddled and additional information was provided.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 09:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

I reversed my own T once. I called a Bench T, but the HC said it was a fan sitting behind the bench. I asked his stay guy (who kept their book during home games), and claimed the same. Since I actually didn't see who made the comment, I decided to rescind the T.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I've seen it done a couple of times in NCAA and once in the NBA. But that was so the star player wouldn't get kicked out, ha. It was a preseason game.
When I was in high school, we had a T given to a player for hitting the backboard when going for a block. After stopping play another official came in and told him the player had a legitimate shot at blocking the ball and the T was taken away (Overall they got the call correct).
I don't remember what happened after that, but I would guess they went with the possession arrow for who got the ball.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I reversed my own T once. I called a Bench T, but the HC said it was a fan sitting behind the bench. I asked his stay guy (who kept their book during home games), and claimed the same. Since I actually didn't see who made the comment, I decided to rescind the T.
Why would you attempt to penalize a comment when you aren't certain who said it in the first place? Were you a novice official at the time?
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

No, I had just warned that bench and I reacted emotionally.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I've reversed a T before.

Partner has a whistle. I'm off ball. After the foul, A player comes flying into a player I'm covering, looking a lot like a tackle. I hit the whistle for a T.

Something didn't seem right....it was out of nowhere. I check with my partner to see if there was anything about the situation that I couldn't/didn't see. Turns out the player was tripped up as part of the live ball foul and just couldn't recover his balance. While the contact was substantial, I decided that it wasn't worthy of a T since it was inadvertent.

The funny thing about the whole deal is that his coach, after I explained to both coaches that I was retracting the T, gave me grief about reversing it while the coach that would have benefited from the T merely said thanks for the explanation.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Yes, when you get more information.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:25pm
AremRed

If this is becoming a share-your-story thread I might as well throw mine in.

I had been to a friends Varsity game where the two head coaches decided to show him up by stepping out of the coaches box and talking negatively about something he said during the coaches meeting. He was opposite the table at the time (second quarter). He told me later he would have absolutely whacked them, but it took him by surprise and by the time he realized what they were doing, it was over.

So of course I have the same situation in the first quarter of my Freshman game a month later. This time both coaches were out of the box talking to each other about my partners (admittedly questionable) call from a few plays earlier. I heard them as I was headed to the table to report. So I whack both of them and they sit. A few minutes later I am table side in front of one of the benches and after the coach asks me a question I ask him "do you know why I called a tech?" (fyi I should not have asked him), and he replied "yeah".

After halftime we are watching warm-ups across the table. My partner (the R) heads to the table and I know he is gonna talk to the coaches. Sure enough he wades right in to the two coaches who are standing there chatting. I don't want to be left out so I walk over there. We end up talking for a minute and I realized that what they were saying to each other wasn't as negative about my partner as I thought. I decide to rescind the techs. When I go to the table and tell the scorer I was rescinding them she said "you can't do that." LOL!
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 12:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
So of course I have the same situation in the first quarter of my Freshman game a month later. This time both coaches were out of the box talking to each other about my partners (admittedly questionable) call from a few plays earlier. I heard them as I was headed to the table to report. So I whack both of them and they sit. A few minutes later I am table side in front of one of the benches and after the coach asks me a question I ask him "do you know why I called a tech?" (fyi I should not have asked him), and he replied "yeah".

After halftime we are watching warm-ups across the table. My partner (the R) heads to the table and I know he is gonna talk to the coaches. Sure enough he wades right in to the two coaches who are standing there chatting. I don't want to be left out so I walk over there. We end up talking for a minute and I realized that what they were saying to each other wasn't as negative about my partner as I thought. I decide to rescind the techs. When I go to the table and tell the scorer I was rescinding them she said "you can't do that." LOL!
I agree with her.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:04am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I agree with her.
LOL!

/pretend these lowercase letters aren't here
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 01:07am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

/pretend these lowercase letters aren't here

Never played this game before.........it's very difficult.

Lonesome Dove