The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   State Championship with my brother (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97476-state-championship-my-brother.html)

stripes Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:10am

State Championship with my brother

My brother and I have both been state tournament level officials in my state for several years and have asked the assignor to assign us a tournament game together (we will work 2-5 regular season games together each season). His answer has always been it will not happen.

Until this year.

High school boys basketball: Bountiful captures first state title since 1997 in dramatic fashion | Deseret News

Great game and it was greater because it was with my favorite partner.

Welpe Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13am

First of all congratulations, that's pretty special.

Secondly, I see one of you made some friends in that game. :eek:

BigT Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13am

Congrats!

Rich Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17am

Love the comments.

stripes Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 926453)
Love the comments.

It is pretty obvious to me that 2 of the comments were made by officials. Jealousy? The 5 sec call my partner made was big, but it was more than 5 seconds. The call and subsequent shooting foul (called by my brother) gave Orem a chance to win. It was fun.

Rich Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 926454)
It is pretty obvious to me that 2 of the comments were made by officials. Jealousy? The 5 sec call my partner made was big, but it was more than 5 seconds. The call and subsequent shooting foul (called by my brother) gave Orem a chance to win. It was fun.

There are always going to be people wishing they had your assignments -- whether it's a JV official wanting your varsity game or a varsity official wanting your spot in the state tournament.

Those *do* sound like officials writing those comments, actually.

JRutledge Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25am

Congrats and glad you got to work with a famiy member and share that memory.

I always love the peanut gallary that has things to say things behind your back and not to your face.

Peace

grunewar Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37am

Congrats Stripes. Sounds like a very special memory!

#olderthanilook Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:39am

The announcer was a hoot! What a bumbling oaf. "That was a fast 5 second call". "You can't call that with 12 seconds left in a championship game."

Really? Why not?

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:04pm

I don't have a brother but I have a son who I trained and he reffed for a few years. We worked numerous local rec league games together (I was the assignor). In one 8th grade boys game, he made a blocking call along the endline. One parent yelled at him so he told the guy to tone it down. The guy yelled back, "You're just like your father!" My son told him that was the best compliment he ever received. :)

#olderthanilook Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark padgett (Post 926473)
i don't have a brother but i have a son who i trained and he reffed for a few years. We worked numerous local rec league games together (i was the assignor). In one 8th grade boys game, he made a blocking call along the endline. One parent yelled at him so he told the guy to tone it down. The guy yelled back, "you're just like your father!" my son told him that was the best compliment he ever received. :)

:d

JetMetFan Mon Mar 10, 2014 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 926449)
My brother and I have both been state tournament level officials in my state for several years and have asked the assignor to assign us a tournament game together (we will work 2-5 regular season games together each season). His answer has always been it will not happen.

Until this year.

High school boys basketball: Bountiful captures first state title since 1997 in dramatic fashion | Deseret News

Great game and it was greater because it was with my favorite partner.

Congratulations!!! That must have been awesome!

I'm still making my way through the Utah games on YouTube. I hadn't gotten to yours yet. The announcer was driving me nuts in the other games.

Maybe you can answer this one for me: How come the shot-clock is on even though it isn't being used? I've seen that in a couple of other states as well.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 10, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 926527)
Maybe you can answer this one for me: How come the shot-clock is on even though it isn't being used? I've seen that in a couple of other states as well.

My guess is that those running the clock probably don't know how to turn them off.

stripes Mon Mar 10, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 926527)
Congratulations!!! That must have been awesome!

I'm still making my way through the Utah games on YouTube. I hadn't gotten to yours yet. The announcer was driving me nuts in the other games.

No idea about the shot clock. It was finally turned off for the semifinals.

Where did you find the games on YouTube?

Raymond Mon Mar 10, 2014 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 926536)
...Where did you find the games on YouTube?

Man, we've been tearing up Utah officials for the last week. :D