The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Me, I think that's counterproductive. As an assignor, I'd want officials to be able to work at higher levels and gain that experience and use it to make the games he works for me better and the people he works with better, too.
This is how it works here. If you get a call for a college game, the HS assignor will replace you, and you get to keep the rest of your HS games.

Now, if you had the college game for weeks and then get a HS assignment but turn it back, he's not going to be too happy that you didn't block out that date. Do that enough times and he may just stop giving you games.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
...There's a HS assignor in my area who tells officials if they give back one of his games for a JUCO/NCAA game he'll pull their schedule. Now that's nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And yet he's well within his right to do that.

Me, I think that's counterproductive. As an assignor, I'd want officials to be able to work at higher levels and gain that experience and use it to make the games he works for me better and the people he works with better, too.
That's one of the things that led to the mess we have down here now. The commissioner didn't like college officials if they didn't make HS their priority.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There's a college football conference in my area that has done the same thing. No more Friday football for those guys.
It makes a LITTLE more sense in football, as 90% of the HS games are Fridays and 90% of the college games are Saturdays, and he likely doesn't want tired and sleepy officials on the field.

Basketball, with scheduling any old day and multiple games a week, it seems to make less sense to me.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 06:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's one of the things that led to the mess we have down here now. The commissioner didn't like college officials if they didn't make HS their priority.
Sounds like an assignor in this area who got peeved when my son turned in a G-JV pre-season scrimmage in favor of a D-League game!!!!
That assignor no longer needs to worry about any future conflicts..
Old Wed Mar 12, 2014, 09:14am
big jake

Sounds like a JV coach from his actions? Maybe Middle school!
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think it was meant as a derogatory term. When asked for a response, the official was heard to say, "Yeah, that's what you get when you put the janitor in the coaching box."
Now that was good!!