Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I didn't realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
“And the technical I thought was a bad call. I didn’t swear. I was in the box"
I wasn't aware these were the only two criteria. Apparently I've been serving tea to a number of coaches undeservedly. My apologies to the coach who yelled across the floor to me (from the box): "Even the art teacher knows that wasn't a charge!" Which was a great line, for the record, and only cost him one point.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:45pm
AremRed

I have been told by a few different people to stop doing JV games as soon as possible because Varsity coaches will keep seeing me as a JV official.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have been told by a few different people to stop doing JV games as soon as possible because Varsity coaches will keep seeing me as a JV official.
This probably varies by area, but I could see it having that impact.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:53pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Hang on...I just searched this guy's name on the web. For the Maine folks - is this Coach Bessey the same guy who is the head coach of the UMF baseball team?
Not 100% sure on this JMF as I don't work up there, but it definitely sounds like it is.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This probably varies by area, but I could see it having that impact.
Agree with Adam...this would be a regional thing. In some areas, V officials often work JV games too.

Here, the top V officials usually only work JV games if it is in a double header with the V game and only if there are not enough officials to cover all the games in a given night with 2 officials per game.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Depends. If you are already established in your area, you can pretty much work whatever and not get any blowback. But if you are still trying to establish yourself as a "varsity" official, then avoiding JV games is probably best, if possible.

There is a college supervisor who puts in his contracts that his officials have to stop working HS games.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Depends.

There is a college supervisor who puts in his contracts that his officials have to stop working HS games.
Now I doubt anyone would push it, and de facto he can do so simply by not scheduling anyone who does work HS games, but I don't think he can legally bar an independent contractor from working other games.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Now I doubt anyone would push it, and de facto he can do so simply by not scheduling anyone who does work HS games, but I don't think he can legally bar an independent contractor from working other games.
He can't. But he can terminate their contract; doesn't even have to go through the ruse of not scheduling them for any games.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:43pm
AremRed

Quote:
That's bs, unless this guy is giving you 50+ college games a season.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He can't. But he can terminate their contract; doesn't even have to go through the ruse of not scheduling them for any games.
There's a college football conference in my area that has done the same thing. No more Friday football for those guys.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You have the choice not to work for him. He's a D1 supervisor, doesn't take very many game to replace a HS paycheck.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There's a college football conference in my area that has done the same thing. No more Friday football for those guys.
I'm pretty sure I read an article about that in Referee magazine last year.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I give that advice to younger officials who are becoming established as varsity officials and have a "full" varsity schedule. Better to take a night off then to fill up with JV and freshman games (and then have to find subs when you're offered a varsity date in its place).

Quote:
I'd do that for a comma check. Not to keep working the same small college football I'm currently working.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To borrow from my BV assignor in situations like this when people disagree with a policy: "You don't have to give up your HS games. You also don't have to work any college games, either."

There's a HS assignor in my area who tells officials if they give back one of his games for a JUCO/NCAA game he'll pull their schedule. Now that's nuts.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 02:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
To borrow from my BV assignor in situations like this when people disagree with a policy: "You don't have to give up your HS games. You also don't have to work any college games, either."

There's a HS assignor in my area who tells officials if they give back one of his games for a JUCO/NCAA game he'll pull their schedule. Now that's nuts.
And yet he's well within his right to do that.

Me, I think that's counterproductive. As an assignor, I'd want officials to be able to work at higher levels and gain that experience and use it to make the games he works for me better and the people he works with better, too.