The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OOB Save . . . Two or Three? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97469-oob-save-two-three.html)

Freddy Sat Mar 08, 2014 06:47pm

OOB Save . . . Two or Three?

Searched but couldn't find thread and clip featuring a player saving the ball from going out of bounds and the ball ends up going through the basket.
Similar play almost occurred last night. Would appreciate anyone with thread-searching skills above mine . . .
Can anyone repost what that thread was?

P.S. Was that, by rule, a two or a three?

justacoach Sat Mar 08, 2014 06:53pm

Provided its beyond the 3 pt line into one's own basket, score a 3. If it goes in the opponent's basket no matter the starting point, only scores 2.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 08, 2014 07:01pm

NFHS 5-2-1

A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.

BillyMac Sat Mar 08, 2014 07:24pm

Wet Paint ...

Back when they first painted three point arcs on high school basketball courts, there was a distinction between a shot from behind the arc that went in your team's basket (three points), and a pass from behind the arc that went in your team's basket (two points). That language disappeared from the rulebook after only a few years, and now they're all three points.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6uquX-UmJHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/99BuRhj29HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4j8H5aEa16k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Sat Mar 08, 2014 07:34pm

Soul Searching ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 926308)
Searched but couldn't find thread and clip featuring a player saving the ball from going out of bounds and the ball ends up going through the basket. Can anyone repost what that thread was?

I remember the thread, and I remember the video, but I can't find either. It was a very interesting thread (I believe that it had a side discussion about alley-oop plays), so I hope that somebody out there in Forumland can find it.

johnny d Sat Mar 08, 2014 09:10pm

In the second video, why are they using a soccer ball?

tjones1 Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:52pm

In the 3rd video, that's a tournament I work (I believe that happened last year). If I remember correctly that was thrown in the opponents goal. Still a wild play.

Rooster Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 926326)
In the second video, why are they using a soccer ball?

A legit lol.

Welpe Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 926337)
In the 3rd video, that's a tournament I work (I believe that happened last year). If I remember correctly that was thrown in the opponents goal. Still a wild play.

At least that would only be a 2 point oops.

AremRed Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 926316)
I remember the thread, and I remember the video, but I can't find either. It was a very interesting thread (I believe that it had a side discussion about alley-oop plays), so I hope that somebody out there in Forumland can find it.

I remember it too. It was this preseason and involved a Kentucky player who flung the ball behind his back and in. I too tried searching for it but alas.