The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:00pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I worked in that league too and I have heard this announcement in some form. Not every time for sure as I admit I rarely pay attention, but I have heard a statement that is consistent with the NAIA mission. I also work football for some of those same schools in the Mid-State Conference and you hear it more there as there is more dead time to know this is going on. I am sure not all school are as diligent to make that announcement every game.

Peace

It must happen pretty infrequently on the men's side in that league, because as I stated earlier, I have never heard it. Even though I am not actively listening for that type of thing, I think it would be pretty hard to miss. Most of the time the gyms for those games are fairly empty, so it isn't like the announcement would be drown out by fan noise. Also, I hear it every now and then in HS games and I always think it is a complete waste of time, not one person in the gym is going to change their behavior because of an announcement.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
It must happen pretty infrequently on the men's side in that league, because as I stated earlier, I have never heard it. Even though I am not actively listening for that type of thing, I think it would be pretty hard to miss. Most of the time the gyms for those games are fairly empty, so it isn't like the announcement would be drown out by fan noise. Also, I hear it every now and then in HS games and I always think it is a complete waste of time, not one person in the gym is going to change their behavior because of an announcement.
I am just saying it is said. Most of the time I am not even paying attention to anything until the players are announced.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes in that league they play a W/M DH -- maybe it's just read before the W game?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:38pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sometimes in that league they play a W/M DH -- maybe it's just read before the W game?

Could be. On the dates when there are double headers, we don't arrive on site early enough to see the start of the women's game.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
We all know the pre-game schpeel is not worth the paper it's written on. Game management is sometimes unaccounted for or in rare cases the actual problem. Below is what the WIAA has schools read.....however you are in charge of rewording it! Ready? Set? Go!

Insert high school name High School, the Insert conference name Conference, and the WIAA require good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches, parents, and all spectators at interscholastic athletic events.
Good sportsmanship is demonstrated by respecting and positively supporting the student-athletes, coaches, spectators, and officials.
Profanity; racial, sexist, or ethnic comments; and any other intimidating action that is directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches, or spectators will not be tolerated and will be grounds for removal from this interscholastic athletic event.
Good sportsmanship is the responsibility of student-athletes, coaches, parents, and all spectators. Please display good sportsmanship at all times.
Thanks for your cooperation.
We've even had venues where they go so far as to have a player/student from each team read this at mid-court prior to the game. It may as well be Charlie Brown's teacher talking because I know the second the ball is tipped no one cares what was read.