The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free throws at end of game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97393-free-throws-end-game.html)

bballref3966 Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:35pm

Free throws at end of game

I can't seem to find a case play or rule to definitively make a decision, but here's my play...

Team A is down 2 as time is running out in the fourth quarter. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and misses the shot, but the foul occurred so near the expiration of time that the clock could not be stopped. My question: Are both free throws awarded no matter whether the first is made or missed? Or do we only shoot as many free throws necessary to decide the outcome of the game, thus if A1 missed the first, the game would be decided and ended without a second attempt?

Sharpshooternes Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36pm

As soon as either is missed, game over.

Rich Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 924910)
I can't seem to find a case play or rule to definitively make a decision, but here's my play...

Team A is down 2 as time is running out in the fourth quarter. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and misses the shot, but the foul occurred so near the expiration of time that the clock could not be stopped. My question: Are both free throws awarded no matter whether the first is made or missed? Or do we only shoot as many free throws necessary to decide the outcome of the game, thus if A1 missed the first, the game would be decided and ended without a second attempt?

Absent any state/local rules that supersede:

If there's no time on the clock, clear the lane spaces and only shoot the required throws. If the first is missed, the game is over.

HokiePaul Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:54pm

The lane would be cleared as well for the shot (s) if the horn had sounded and the officials determined that no time would be put back on.

I don't have my case book in front of me, but I believe there is a strange case where the clock shows zero but the horn didn't sound. In this case (not sure how this happens -- but in case it ever did), I think the ruling is that the period is not over until the horn sounds so you would shoot all shots with players on the line.

johnny d Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 924915)
The lane would be cleared as well for the shot (s) if the horn had sounded and the officials determined that no time would be put back on.

I don't have my case book in front of me, but I believe there is a strange case where the clock shows zero but the horn didn't sound. In this case (not sure how this happens -- but in case it ever did), I think the ruling is that the period is not over until the horn sounds so you would shoot all shots with players on the line.

This can happen when the clock does not display tenths of a second. Not very common anymore.

bainsey Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 924910)
....thus if A1 missed the first, the game would be decided and ended without a second attempt?

Let's take it a step further, from the "highly unlikely" file:

Team A down 2, B-2 fouls A-1. A-1 misses the first free throw. Officials quickly discuss and rule the game is over. As they're about to leave, HC B replies with, "About f***ing time you guys got one right!"

Second free throw reinstated, plus two for the T?

Adam Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 924922)

Team A down 2, B-2 fouls A-1. A-1 misses the first free throw. Officials quickly discuss and rule the game is over. As they're about to leave, HC B replies with, "About f***ing time you guys got one right!"

You guys need to control your kids better in Maine. :)

Camron Rust Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 924922)

The game is not really over (it is once the officials leave the gym).

So, in your case, the FT will not be shot, initially. But, after the T, the "suspended" FT is shot, then the FTs for the T.

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 924925)
The game is not really over (it is once the officials leave the gym).

So, in your case, the FT will not be shot, initially. But, after the T, the "suspended" FT is shot, then the FTs for the T.

Logically, I agree with you.

I'm having trouble finding a rules reason to reinstate the original 2nd free throw. Anyone see anything that would help?

just another ref Thu Feb 27, 2014 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 924937)

I'm having trouble finding a rules reason to reinstate the original 2nd free throw. Anyone see anything that would help?

Don't know the number offhand, but it says, more or less, that free throws which will not affect the outcome of the game will not be shot. The 2nd free throw in this case would not, until you add the T, and now it could, so shoot it.

5-6-2 exception 3

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 27, 2014 02:03pm

Quote:

It was never removed from existence. It just isn't executed since it didn't have a bearing on the outcome of the game.

I don't think of it needing to be reinstated. I think of it now having a bearing on the game, so we do shoot it.

deecee Thu Feb 27, 2014 02:04pm

Quote:

Failure to award merited FT's. Consider it a CE at the time.

mj Thu Feb 27, 2014 02:38pm

See Case Play 5.6.2 Situation E.

I had to look it up for myself when there was a game on tv here last week where this happened with Team A down 3 getting fouled on a 3 point attempt with no time on the clock. Kid missed the first and they continued to shoot the last 2. Poor kid missed all 3...

These free throws followed a time out by Team B with no time on the clock, which is allowed, but not successive ones.