The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Humor from an ole timer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97383-humor-ole-timer.html)

Refsmitty Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53am

Humor from an ole timer

Worked with a fellow the other night in his last game of a 55 year career of Michigan HS BB officiating.

I asked him for a couple of stories from "Back in the Day"

His funniest - back in the day of 2 man V games - ball rolls over to first row of bleechers - older fan in first row wouldn't throw it back. So this official walks over to retrieve the ball - bends over in front of the fan - the fan whispers in his ear... "Just our luck - Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder in the same ....ing game!:D

grunewar Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 924772)
His funniest - back in the day of 2 man V games (last week in Connecticut) - ball rolls over to first row of bleechers - older fan in first row wouldn't throw it back. So this official walks over to retrieve the ball - bends over in front of the fan - the fan whispers in his ear... "Just our luck - Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder in the same ....ing game!:D

Fixed it for you..... ;)

Rich Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:56pm

Or this past Saturday, in Wisconsin. :D

jTheUmp Wed Feb 26, 2014 01:29pm

Or every day for me (save one) in Minnesota.

AremRed Wed Feb 26, 2014 01:36pm

It is just me or is "blind referee" humor no longer funny?

BigT Wed Feb 26, 2014 01:49pm

Quote:

Worked with a fellow the other night in his last game of a 55 year career of Michigan HS BB officiating.

His funniest - back in the day of 2 man V games - ball rolls over to first row of bleechers - older fan in first row wouldn't throw it back. So this official walks over to retrieve the ball - bends over in front of the fan - the fan whispers in his ear... "Just our luck - Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder in the same ....ing game!:D

Last night my last HS game this year. Fan yells close your eyes and you will twice as many plays right!

CountTheBasket Wed Feb 26, 2014 02:24pm

Did men's "wreck" last night, boy did we have a train wreck on our hands with 10 guys who wanted to cry everytime the whistle blew....one guy says "i think you're doing a pretty good job as a first time ref" haha that got a chuckle out of me.

frezer11 Wed Feb 26, 2014 02:28pm

I occasionally get to work with these two older veterans, both about the same age, but one completely bald. Anyways, during the pregame captains meeting, the one with the full head of hair starts off like this, "Hello captains, that's Matt (me), I'm Tom, and this is my dad Buck" While pointing to the bald guy! Ha!

bob jenkins Wed Feb 26, 2014 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 924808)
It is just me or is "blind referee" humor no longer funny?

You just don't see the humour in it.

jeremy341a Wed Feb 26, 2014 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 924821)

I see what you did there.

rockyroad Wed Feb 26, 2014 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 924821)

Ouch.

Straight to Hackensack, Jenkins.:D

Adam Wed Feb 26, 2014 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 924824)
Ouch.

Straight to Hackensack, Jenkins.:D

Better than Bayonne.

BillyMac Wed Feb 26, 2014 05:12pm

Welcome To The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 924783)
Fixed it for you..... ;)

I finally got the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation to make it official:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/1...8029f778_m.jpg

Stat-Man Wed Feb 26, 2014 08:33pm

Quote:

I know a guy who has officiated for 56 years and we did a couple of MS games together this year. If this is him, I'll be sorry to see him retire.

Mregor Thu Feb 27, 2014 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 924799)
Or this past Saturday, in Wisconsin. :D

In Arizona too.