The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Front Range Basketball Camp Lakewood Colorado

Has anyone here attended one of Mark Bless's camps?

Form

While I know the chances of being hired are low, I would like to see some quality summer BB for self improvement.

Do the clinicians offer any feedback, or do they just "watch and rate" each official?

Thanks!
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 07:47pm
AremRed

$250? That's the most expensive HS camp I've seen. I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
$250? That's the most expensive HS camp I've seen. I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.
Then you haven't seen many camps. There are many that are below that but I've seen several above, and even well above, that amount.

Or are you talking about who hosts the camp and somehow grouping some into a different class even though the players are all still HS players?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 08:01pm.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Imagine ???

Quote:
I guess everything is more expensive in Colorado.
There's even a tax on weed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Then you haven't seen many camps. There are many that are below that but I've seen several above, and even well above, that amount.

Or are you talking about who hosts the camp and somehow grouping some into a different class even though the players are all still HS players?
There's one in July near here that cost $375 last year -- included all meals and a dorm room, though. Well worth the cost. I've been a couple of times and I'll go back again this summer.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's one in July near here that cost $375 last year -- included all meals and a dorm room, though. Well worth the cost. I've been a couple of times and I'll go back again this summer.
Where's near here?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk13 View Post
Where's near here?
Wisconsin.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:31pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

$375? This is for a camp to get HS games, or a camp where the teams are HS teams? There are D2 camps that cost less than this. No way I would ever pay that much money to get HS games.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
$375? This is for a camp to get HS games, or a camp where the teams are HS teams? There are D2 camps that cost less than this. No way I would ever pay that much money to get HS games.
It has nothing to do with *getting* games. The clinicians are top notch officials, some of whom work D1, all of whom work college schedules. It's 3 days of basketball where you work 26 halves of games, get 2 nights lodging, and about 8-10 meals in a university cafeteria. Although I've passed on the lodging and have stayed at a hotel -- my dorm days are long behind me.

One can argue that it does get you a certain amount of exposure or that you may get (as a result of meeting people) some HS games that wouldn't come your way otherwise. But the main reason I go is because it is a camp that makes me a better official and provides me with enough hoops over a weekend to put little things in practice. And I can deduct every penny from my income taxes.

Of course to some it's all about how much money it costs and how many games you get from it. Thankfully, those aren't the people that come.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 12:45pm
beware big brother

I know I am going to butcher these guys names, so I apologize in advance. I will go out on a limb and guess that either or both Paul Szells and Peter Juzanues are two of the D1 officials you are talking about. Both of them are excellent clinicians. I have been at camps were both of them work, and I have had the pleasure of working college games with both of them. That being said, I know that Paul runs a camp in Milwaukee where all the clinicians are D1 officials (Peter included) that does not cost anywhere near this amount of money. I know the purpose of camp isn't just to get games and the quality of teaching matters, but getting games and exposure is part of the equation and you can get both for a better price in your backyard without even looking that hard.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:03pm
(Something hilarious)

The camp wyo is referring to is a DII women's camp.

And yes, they offer plenty of feedback during each game.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2014, 04:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I know I am going to butcher these guys names, so I apologize in advance. I will go out on a limb and guess that either or both Paul Szells and Peter Juzanues are two of the D1 officials you are talking about. Both of them are excellent clinicians. I have been at camps were both of them work, and I have had the pleasure of working college games with both of them. That being said, I know that Paul runs a camp in Milwaukee where all the clinicians are D1 officials (Peter included) that does not cost anywhere near this amount of money. I know the purpose of camp isn't just to get games and the quality of teaching matters, but getting games and exposure is part of the equation and you can get both for a better price in your backyard without even looking that hard.
Eh, I like the one I've gone to. It's on a college campus, everything's centrally located, and I can focus on hoops for a weekend. To each their own.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

These camps are for the DII RMAC league. Bless is the assignor for the women's RMAC.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
Agree, but it's not so bad with the included room and board.

Quote:
Paul Szells
Paul Szelc?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:42pm
beware big brother

Quote:

Paul Szelc?

That would be the guy. I was too lazy to look up the spelling.